Shower knob

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romeb

Reaction score
I am moving in to a place with an old shower faucet. The knob turns one way for cold and the other way for hot and off is somewhere in the middle. Is this right? I’d like to have it so I can just turn it all the way to one side for off instead of trying to find the sweet spot in the middle. What are my replacement options and what kind of cost am I looking at? Links to products or videos would be helpful...not necessarily going to do this myself though. Thank you!

Last edited:
need to show pics of what your talking about
Not sure a pic will really help, but will add when I get back there. It’s just a single knob. Turn it right for cold, back to the middle for off, and turn it left for warm. I don’t know anything about plumbing, but it doesn’t seem right that you have to find the middle “sweet spot” for off.

There might be a “stop” that is installed in the wrong position.
This is my guess too. Landlord said this is how it is supposed to be, so I am checking to see if yes that is how old knobs were sometimes and can be changed or if it broke by someone twisting it too much or if installed wrong. He did say he replaced the cartridge because it was dripping, but not anymore for now.

Not sure a pic will really help, but will add when I get back there. It’s just a single knob. Turn it right for cold, back to the middle for off, and turn it left for warm. I don’t know anything about plumbing, but it doesn’t seem right that you have to find the middle “sweet spot” for off.
Not sure of model you are talking about. Or how it is all positioned looking at it. This is why pictures help.

If it is only cold to one side and hot to the other, the cartridge may have been put in upside down.

Back