Shower is possessed by water demon and six-months-pregnant wife will murder me if I don't figure this out.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion19

Reaction score
Hi Everyone and Thanks In Advance!

I have a single valve shower handle in a home I purchased a year ago. Scalding hot and lukewarm water are no problem. Adjusting the temperate after the shower starts rarely works unless you move the handle almost all the way off (for lukewarm/cool) or all the way up (scalding hot). Sometimes I can get it just right by turning the shower off all the way, then all the way up the the hottest setting, then immediately back down to where you want it to be. That strategy is hit or miss though and any adjustments after that are unlikely to change the temperature.

The shower down the hall has no problems and the rest of the house is easy enough to adjust water temp. It seems exclusive to this shower. I replaced the mixing valve about a month ago but I'm not noticing any change at all (the valve I bought can be viewed here). Any help at all is greatly appreciated (my wife thanks you too). I'm also happy to send images or extra info that my be helpful. Thank you again!!!

Would you by chance have a circulation system? (Does hot water always get instantly hot at every faucet).
it sounds like the smaller rectangular piece ( pressure balance) is bad. But if you just changed it then it’s hard to point at that.
Also small chance it’s the water heater. Older tanks had a breakaway dip tube. The dip tube sends cold water to bottom of tank so you draw hot water from top. On occasion the dip tube breaks. And it’s really not suppose too. Some of those go unnoticed due to short military showers or 2 handle shower don’t seam to show systems. But a single handle pressure balance will let you know. .....still think I am reaching for it to be water heater.

try removing the parts again. Place a 6” long 2” pipe up around valve body trying to direct the hot and cold ports. Have some turn water back on.You will need curtain closed. Let the hot and cold blow wild for 10 seconds then turn water back off. The 2” pipe is for you to hold and direct water into shower stall. If you don’t do this. You will have water flowing down Inside your valve Wall.

Might try installing mixing valve 180 degrees. You could be plumbed in wrong and flipping that outer piece will flip your operation.

I've read here that nearby sinks with bad mixing valves can also cause havoc on tubs/showers.

I've read here that nearby sinks with bad mixing valves can also cause havoc on tubs/showers.
Yeup yeup. That’s the question of circulation system. It’s actually that style of pressure balance valve that’s the worst culprit around here.

Thank you for your replies!

There is no immediate hot water system installed. It gets warm relatively fast, but it takes a bit. The problem seems to be isolated to the shower, but I can test the nearby sinks also to see if I'm just not noticing the problem as much. If it's the water heater I should expect the same issue in the rest of the house, right? I have two other showers that aren't experiencing the same problem, so I'm hoping I can rule out the water heater. Thank you again! I'll update when I have more information about the sinks.

The link you posted is an aftermarket brand. Get OEM Kohler parts

Yes for sure true kohler parts. That pressure balance unit. ( the rectangular one) is a pain.

Latest posts

Back