Shower gets cold

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sef0007

Reaction score
Hi, my question is when I start my shower I have to put it to almost 50% on the hot side. Then after 5 minutes the water gets colder (Luke warm). Then i turn the knob a little hotter, right after 5 min it gets colder again. What could be the cause of this?

Attachments

• IMG_20201220_200523.jpg
    IMG_20201220_200523.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201220_200516.jpg
    IMG_20201220_200516.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201220_200512.jpg
    IMG_20201220_200512.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
You don't say anything about your water heater, I would suspect that's where the problem is if it's a dual element electric the bottom element is burned out. Pretty common problem, especially if you have hard water and no softener.

You don't say anything about your water heater, I would suspect that's where the problem is if it's a dual element electric the bottom element is burned out. Pretty common problem, especially if you have hard water and no softener.

The tap water is not the same way though... Gets hot from beginning and stays hot

Ok, then it's in the shower valve, I'm not familiar with that type, but it sounds like something inside is moving during use.

Ok, then it's in the shower valve, I'm not familiar with that type, but it sounds like something inside is moving during use.
Would that be in the handle? After removing the Allen screw? That screw is seized. What can I do?

Pretty hard for me to help If you can't get the set screw out, not sure what it looks like. I'm a retired mechanic, I've always been able to get things apart but sometimes it's not pretty! Set screw are usually to hard to drill, I have an impact driver that works sometimes, and sometimes you just have to grind it away. A torch might work, but it needs to be a hot one like and acetylene. Have you tried googling the disassembly procedure for your valve? There are a lot of good videos available. Maybe someone with more experience with your particular valve can give you some better advise, good luck!

Pretty hard for me to help If you can't get the set screw out, not sure what it looks like. I'm a retired mechanic, I've always been able to get things apart but sometimes it's not pretty! Set screw are usually to hard to drill, I have an impact driver that works sometimes, and sometimes you just have to grind it away. A torch might work, but it needs to be a hot one like and acetylene. Have you tried googling the disassembly procedure for your valve? There are a lot of good videos available. Maybe someone with more experience with your particular valve can give you some better advise, good luck!

If I get that screw out and it's damaged .. how would I get another screw like that?

Most good hardware stores have assortments of set screws, but it kind of sounds like you need a plumber!

Would that be in the handle? After removing the Allen screw? That screw is seized. What can I do?

I had this same problem, a seized set screw, and ended up having to cut the handle and get a new one. It was the only way I could get to the leaking valve. Before you do that though, make sure you test all the other faucets to make sure this issue is just with the shower. I've never had a shower valve malfunction in this way before, so I find it hard to fathom it's the shower valve.

remove handle, look behind it. you should be looking at a plastic gear looking thing with a tab

with small screwdriver or needlenose. pull the gear out and rotate it
I THINK. LOL Guessing here. rotate it left this is the hot limit
put handle back on and see if you rotated the correct way

That’s a Moen. I wouldn’t change the valve at all.
What I can’t tell is if it’s a posi temp or an older style with a balancing spool

To turn on the water, do you pull the handle out, or just turn it to the left?

If you pull out the handle to activate the water, you need a balancing soool to correct your problem.

If you just turn the handle, you need a 1222B cartridge. If that doesn’t solve your issue it could be more of an issue with your water heater not keeping up with the volume

Back