Shower faucet upgrade

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deweyg63

Reaction score
I'm wanting to upgrade this faucet. It is the type that you move up to turn on the water then left for hot and right for cold. There aren't any brand markings on it. I'm guessing Delta. I would rather change the internal cartridge to the type you just turn for water and temperature if possible so I can get a more modern handle. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 16688820747527123730307300348308.jpg
    16688820747527123730307300348308.jpg
    903.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 16688820946782339075759272777127.jpg
    16688820946782339075759272777127.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 1
Yes that’s a Delta 600 or a knock off copy.

For the function you’re looking for the entire valve on the wall and trim must be replaced.

Delta makes a nice kit that upgrades the looks of that. A metal lever handle, new ball and springs,

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP54870.html
Or you're probably looking at one of the new pressure balance valves that meet current code and a remodel plate to allow for more access in the wall for replacement if you going in on the tile side.
Or sometimes you have access the the wall behind and that's always nice.

Delta makes a nice kit that upgrades the looks of that. A metal lever handle, new ball and springs,

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/product/RP54870.html
Or you're probably looking at one of the new pressure balance valves that meet current code and a remodel plate to allow for more access in the wall for replacement if you going in on the tile side.
Or sometimes you have access the the wall behind and that's always nice.
It looks like galvanized pipe for the shower riser and tub spout. No changing that out from the front with a remodel plate.

It looks like galvanized pipe for the shower riser and tub spout. No changing that out from the front with a remodel plate.
Are you suggesting a complete repipe for his home? All the way to the meter? What kind of pipe are you recommending?

Are you suggesting a complete repipe for his home? All the way to the meter? What kind of pipe are you recommending?
Not a repipe of the house, hot and cold are copper already. Shower riser and tub spout are galvanized so you can’t spin that out from the front. You have to do it from the back.

Attachments

• 897B7861-D8B2-4F29-879A-E5DC5A62178E.jpeg
    897B7861-D8B2-4F29-879A-E5DC5A62178E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I would for sure replace the shower riser and spout drop.

I’d use copper sweat or brass screw pipe for the spout drop and pex for the shower riser

You’d need significant access to do that.

Or perhaps go with the Delta Kit I linked to. That I can do with little time and effort.

Or maybe just replace the tub. Do they really want a tub? Why not a nice shower, shower head and handheld would be nice. I kind of like solid surface walls. Pull the existing walls off and start over. Then it's all new.

tub-to-shower.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I'll just do the upgrade kit. Going to resurface the tub surround. Not worried about the galvanized riser at this point. This is our least used of 3 bathrooms. It only gets used a few times a year

Be careful removing the chrome cap on the old valve. They can stick and if it doesn’t spin off it can twist the 3/8 copper tubes that’s integral to the valve.

Removing the bonnet nut on the Delta 600 can be difficult, even for us plumbers. Like Mr. Hack mentioned, the valve has three soft copper tubes that are easy to bend if you torque the bonnet nut too hard. The thing we worry about is "egging" the nut, making it very hard to unthread. Tricks I've resorted to are heat, with a torch, tapping around in a circle to see if I can loosen it a bit. Recently I saw this trick where they use a pipe coupling that will "evenly" snug up around the nut, so it doesn't get "egged" and rotate it off. Be careful that the don't twist the valve part behind the nut.
You can also cut the nut, and then use the new one that comes with the kit.

delta-dome-removal-tool.jpg

Last edited:
Back