Shower- faucet turns but no water out of showerhead

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualfc

Reaction score
I have a stall shower (no tub faucet) in an area of my house that doesn't get much use. The shower has its own shutoff valves due to no heat in the winter (converted garage bathroom, I'm in New Jersey). Recently when I tried turning the shower on, I heard the water in the pipes, but nothing coming out the shower head. I inspected the shower head (newer, no issues). Finally, I got Moen to send a 1222 cartridge which I installed and still had no luck. When I installed the cartridge I did notice this particular Moen valve has the shutoff stops on either side of the valve. I turned both counterclockwise to loosen them up and still no luck. I'm trying to to do as much as can before opening the wall behind it and inspecting. Thoughts?

There must be other shutoff valves farther away, that are still shut off.

Because closing the shutoff valves built right into the shower valve would do nothing to prevent the pipes leading to the shower from freezing.

Meanwhile, turn on the shower valve, then rotate the built in shutoffs back and forth several times, and see if that loosens up any stuck minerals.
Wear your swimsuit, haha!

Or you might just have turned those built in shutoffs the wrong way, try different positions.

Thanks. There are other shutoff valves that I installed. They are working because I hear the water flow when I open them. Seems like water gets to just below valve from what I can hear. I’ll play with shutoff at faucet. Haven’t been used in a few years so there’s probably buildup. You’re right I may be turning in the wrong direction. I’ll give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Victory! Somewhat. Pulled the cartridge out and get a decent flow out the valve. Played with the internal shut offs so I believe they are open all the way and I got the flow up to what I believe is full blast. With cartridge and handle back on I got only a slight flow out of the showerhead. Pulled off the showerhead and got no flow out of the top pipe. So it looks like corrosion/blockage in the shower pipe above the valve. Poured some white vinegar into the top of the pipe but didn’t get much in. Low ceiling made it tricky. Letting it sit overnight and will check again tomorrow.

Any additional thoughts for clearing top shower pipe?

Unscrew the shower arm from the wall.

Squirt in some CLR into the female elbow at the top of the riser, with a turkey baster, let it sit overnight.

Also, make sure the shower head itself is not blocked, or just replace it.

I’m wondering if it’s more than a clogged line. Tried cartridge in, cartridge out and got full flow on the cold side, nothing on the hot side.
I checked the internal shutoff and it seems as if it’s a quarter turn on/off and that’s it. Both shutoffs do turn but nothing on hot side.
This all started a few years ago when a pipe broke and I added a coupling then 2 shutoff valves before re sheet rocking the closet. There appears to be no leaks so I have no idea why the hot side has no flow.
May be opening the wall and dissecting the whole thing.

There might be a shutoff you forgot about somewhere.

Or your shower valve also has a pressure balancing cartridge, which needs changing also.
Post a pic of the valve body.

F8A9CB9D-E18D-4282-A9D0-18AAA4DC224B.jpeg I’m wondering if the hot shutoff valve isn’t working. No balancing valve. I can’t get to the shower now, but here’s a photo of the same model.

That looks like Moen positemp.
I believe that positemp cartridge has the pressure balance built in to it.

Make sure you install the cartridge correct side up, there is a label on the plastic tab in front.

I think the guts of the hot shutoff are held in by a snap ring retainer.

You can likely find a video on Youtube showing how to get that hot shutoff taken apart, and Moen will send new guts as needed.

Yours might alternately have a clip that pulls out from the top, that holds in the shutoff guts.
Like the clip that holds in the cartridge.

Last edited:
This problem is happening with the new cartridge. I may try using the old one to see if it works. Since I’ve had the problem with both old and new cartridges, I feel like there’s another factor.
I did find a video of how to take one apart so I may look at that.

I assume your valve is plumbed normally, with hot coming in from the left.

Some valves are special ordered reversed, and some just get hooked up backwards by chuckleheads.

Yes, hot on the left. I’m going to take the cartridge apart and see if anything is obstructing it.

Back