Shower Faucet Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jillian

Reaction score
Hello!

Very new to DYI plumbing projects so appreciate any advice tips you all can give me. I have an older American Standard shower faucet in one of my bathrooms. It looks like I made a mistake in buying a Kohler shower set kit (shower faucet, shower head, spout) after doing some research and seeing that shower valves all pretty much different/proprietary from one another.

Do I need to return the Kohler and buy American Standard? Aesthetically, I prefer Kohler and Moen over American Standard so I'd like to go for either the first two if I could. Would I need to have someone rip out the wall in order to change the shower valve system from American Standard to Kohler? That seems a little excessive for just wanting to change a shower faucet, but then again I'm very new to all of this so I'm not sure what's the easiest, and least costly method to do all of this.

Thanks for your time!

They are not interchangeable. If you really like what you purchased, it is possible to cut a hole in the wall behind the shower and replace the valve?

Back