Shower faucet continue to drip after stem replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braun247

Reaction score
A buddy of mines shower faucet was dripping, so I replaced the compression faucet valve stems. It seemed to fix the problem. Got a text today saying that it is dripping again and is getting worse. I bought the replacement stems from a supply house, so I know they are the correct ones. What else could I be missing here?

When I took the old one out, I saw that the rubber was torn, hence the slow drip. Since the home was older and the parts were cheap, I replaced both stems.

Picture of the type of stems
https://www.thespruce.com/thmb/Jrsd..._faucet_assembly-56a4a2dd3df78cf772835d67.jpg

I think I found out the problem. I need to get a Tap Reseating tool.

what you showed looks like a gerber have you checked the seats if they are cut it causes the flat washer to rip …...pull the stem put your finger in against the back of were the stem would be or get a flashlight and take a look in

what you showed looks like a gerber have you checked the seats if they are cut it causes the flat washer to rip …...pull the stem put your finger in against the back of were the stem would be or get a flashlight and take a look in
there are seat wrenches you can buy any were

If possible, I prefer replacing the valve seats, rather than resurfacing them. Often, however, they are difficult to remove.

Back