Shower drain leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
like always my little projects take forever to get to. i am still going to fill the area between the shower base and floor with a combination of foam insulation and acoustical anti bacterial duct liner before i close it up.

thanks for the info on this particular repair. i did go with the Sioux Chief jack rabbit drain. Along with the Plumbers Putty.
Old parts removed.

2012-05-17_17-13-00_365.jpg
[/IMG]

New parts installed
2012-05-18_16-20-24_246.jpg
[/IMG]

2012-05-18_16-20-15_355.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks again!

Very good job at getting that shower drain repaired.
I am having the same issue on this ugly Sioux Chief Shower drain. I am struggling since past 3 days now to get that lock nut to loosen up and same with the inside compression nut to loosen up also. Have tried PB blaster multiple times now. Have not tried heating up the nut yet.

Here's my picture.

After reading how you got it accomplished, I am going to do the same.

Can you please suggest me what hacksaw did you use and what type of blade did you use. I see some posters have suggested 32 tpi to score it and then suggested using 18 tpi.. Which way did you go.

Also how long did it take to do this ?

Thanks in advance.
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Sid. I used a Kobalt mini hacksaw I bought from Lowe's. I'll include a link for it.

Kobalt 10-in Mini Hacksaw

I just used the included blade, don't recall the TPI on it though. If I had to guess it looks like a 32. I went straight up and down on the compression ring until I went almost all of the way through, then used a screwdriver to pry the pieces apart. I don't recall exactly how long it took, it was a couple years ago.

Just stick with it and it'll come off eventually. Be careful not to hit the fiberglass real hard. If you're concerned you may be able to tape some sort of pad up there to protect it.

Thanks Dblhelix. I got the mini hacksaw and cut out the inner compression lock nut. Now the PVC pipe is free.

Still working on the outside locknut.. The outer locknut seems too thick and feels like it has been glued with either silicone or loctite sealant as even after some good whacks it refuses to move even a few mm... ..

Any other tools that you can suggest to get things moving..?

Just feeling frustrated.. and :mad: at the guy who did this type of work..

Will post pictures tonight..

Thanks again.
Sid.

Folks thanks for your help. I used a dremel tool to cut the bottom locknut out. I completed the project with 825 series Sioux Chief PVC drain.

Thanks for all your help.

Here are the pictures.

Looks good! Glad you got it all fixed up and thanks for the follow up!

Back