Shower Drain doesn’t connect to main PVC Drain Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRHH

Reaction score
Just converted a bath tub to a shower recently and have noticed that water is seeping up from under the grout lines on the corners of the shower closest to the shower drain. Even after you soak up all the water with a towel water continues to seep up from below and those areas never really dry between showers. I decided to pop off the shower drain cover and noticed that instead of PVC Pipe the shower drain is just a hole in the mortar shower bed that leads to the old bath tub pvc pipe drain, so the shower drain is not connected to the main line. I believe the water that is seeping up is the Water that is going down the drain and also into the mortar as it go’s down the drain. Shouldn’t there be a drain pipe from the drain cover all the way to the main drain line? Also is there a way to put a pipe in without ripping the whole floor out with a jack hammer? Has anyone ever heard of this before ?

Last edited:
Ok, how long do you think this will function with the drain setup like this? The company who did it went out of business already which is not a surprise as they stole many customers money and did nothing in return

Ok, how long do you think this will function with the drain setup like this? The company who did it went out of business already which is not a surprise as they stole many customers money and did nothing in return
It’s actually not functioning now, that’s why you’re here.

The water drains and we are able to shower so it is functioning for seven months

I am on this site because I am not a plumber and don’t know about shower drains. After googling this situation over and over with different wording I was not able to find anyone else who had such dumbass workers do this sort of thing and wanted some information about whether it could be fixed. I was thinking of spraying some Flex Seal down the drain, but probably leaving it the way it is would be better just not sure what is the consequences of leaving this like it is ? No flooding so far has occurred and no mold smell either . No reason to worry about the grout cracking since the mortar is getting soaked anyway

You need a local plumber to inspect and diagnose your issue on site.

Maybe there is some clever way to sneak in a connection to the drain, from above.

No way to tell from our end, I think.

Your leaking drain might be rotting your subfloor, unless you are directly over a slab.

Your tiles will eventually start to pop loose as the adhesive gives way from constant soaking.

Either way, it can’t continue, don’t delay calling in a pro.

You need a local plumber to inspect and diagnose your issue on site.

Maybe there is some clever way to sneak in a connection to the drain, from above.

No way to tell from our end, I think.

Your leaking drain might be rotting your subfloor, unless you are directly over a slab.

Your tiles will eventually start to pop loose as the adhesive gives way from constant soaking.

Either way, it can’t continue, don’t delay calling in a pro.
Thank you

Back