Shower Diverter Stem Broken

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisiscmd

Reaction score
So I have replaced upstairs and downstairs stems to repair leaking but I cannot replace diverter stems due to both of them being broken and part of the stem is stuck in behind wall.

I’ve attached pics showing the new diverter stem and the old one missing part of it which is left in wall. The plastic end piece which is normally screwed on is no longer attached to valve so it is stuck in wall.

It’s American Standard Colony I believe.

Any help is appreciated. My attempts to pull the rest of the stem out have failed and made the diverter work much worse. Now half the water comes out bottom spout while showering.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B4029219-785A-4FA1-BBC8-07FA89C8D68F.jpeg
    B4029219-785A-4FA1-BBC8-07FA89C8D68F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 8F81CFD2-9CF4-4437-837B-B8088DDBC390.jpeg
    8F81CFD2-9CF4-4437-837B-B8088DDBC390.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
maybe an easy out tool. is reverse thread in several sizes
th

Thanks guys. I’m not sure there’s anything still threaded in. It’s just the plastic piece and a brass cylinder looking thing stuck in there that I think should just slide out but it’s stuck. I could be wrong.

So I actually bent a thin metal rod into a tool just like that. I was able to pull hard on the holes of the sleeve and the valve body pulled back with it and the sleeve wouldn’t come loose. So it’s stuck pretty good. Guess I need some way to push on the valve body while pulling on the stick sleeve?

Hmmm your in a jiffy of a spot. Need some awesome creeper oil to eat thru o ring. Not acid. It’s like wd40 on steroids times 10. Let it soak then try to pry it out again. Equally around collar. The bigger reverse thread tool might be far enough.can you remove the bonnet left on stem. Insert stem back in and try to wiggle and twist on it after soaking for a few minutes.

Hmmm your in a jiffy of a spot. Need some awesome creeper oil to eat thru o ring. Not acid. It’s like wd40 on steroids times 10. Let it soak then try to pry it out again. Equally around collar. The bigger reverse thread tool might be far enough.can you remove the bonnet left on stem. Insert stem back in and try to wiggle and twist on it after soaking for a few minutes.
I tried some penetrating lubricant stuff. I will see about getting creeper oil. Didn’t understand the question on bonnet/stem. I can put stem back in but it doesn’t really catch on anything or allow me to pull rest of it out? (I’m not a plumber so I need told if I’m saying something dumb) :)

Bonnet is any collar that threads on to hold a stem in place. In your case. It’s the larger threaded brass cylinder. The smaller diameter stem should thread out one way or the other. Ehh may not help ya. I have used a concrete lead anchor. Find the right diameter. Insert lead anchors in the barrel your retrieving. Then thread your lag bolt in anchor and lock it then use that bolt to pull. But it’s a trick. So might just be me. Surely somebody has a tool for grabbing those. I just haven’t found them

Gotcha. The piece stuck in there isn’t threaded unfortunately. Thanks for tips I’ll look into anchor.

This cylinder. You can’t see it’s a hollow cylinder but it is. Maybe just friction holding it in not threaded on smaller stem

Attachments

• 1C79CFDA-3622-473E-8C4A-7E520C2AADE7.jpeg
    1C79CFDA-3622-473E-8C4A-7E520C2AADE7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Yes it’s a smooth cylinder with I think an o ring you can see in front of it and it’s just calcified in there really hard. Handle and stem we’re both very difficult to remove with good tools. I need a good method to break this loose so it will all side out.

Ok I still asking and looking. Not really a “ book standard” tool that I can find so far. Bunches of tools in my truck I would try if on site. The obvious (I think) would be long needle nose but assuming you done tried those

Hey thanks. I’ll give it another go over the weekend and try again to get that o ring out.

Yes, this is an American Standard Colony. The screw tends to back out and the cage stays in there. Long needle nose are the best way. Go in and grab the edge and pull hard

Just an update here - I was able to use a 5/8 tap to bite onto the smaller diameter hole of the part that was stuck in the housing. It worked great. Did this for both my baths. Now I have little to no water coming out of bottom faucet during showers. Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back