Shower cartridge?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have an old retired friend, who has asked me to repair his leaking shower valve. In order to save time and pick up the correct parts before driving to his house, could someone help me figure what type of shower valve he has, and whether there is a cartridge that needs replacement.

He described the valve as being 24 years old and in his own words...."One that pulls out from the wall to regulate the water pressure, and them is turns clock wise & counter clock wise to regulate the hot & cold."

For the life of me, I just can't make sense of his description.

Thanks DF. I just want to prepair him in the event the parts are not available, and I need to cut out the wall in the back! Being a Moen, it sounds like a possibility of parts still being available though.

The old moentrol valves used a 1225 cartridge, unlike modern moens which use the 1222.

If you are really unlucky it is the old brass cartridge which they don't make anymore. On certain models a new 1225 plastic cartridge might work, but usually not.

Thanks DF. I just want to prepair him in the event the parts are not available, and I need to cut out the wall in the back! Being a Moen, it sounds like a possibility of parts still being available though.

I've found that all I needed to do was replace the 3 O rings on the cartridge, clean out the bore of the valve body with a rag, then grease up the cartridge with clear waterproof grease. The requisite O rings seem to be an odd size so standard O ring sizes are a bit too thick. It's all made by Danco and is, or at least was, with the faucet repair parts at HD.
FWIW
YMMV

I appreciate all the help from everyone. The guy I am helping is an old retired cop, who has become a curmudgeon. I'm just trying to do all my homework before I start digging in, because I will need to shut down his water until it is repaired, and want it to be as brief as possible.

When Phish advised it could be a Moen TempTrol, I did some Googling and was surprised at the amount of YouTube videos available on the cartridge repair and replacements, the use of PB Blaster or Lime Away to release frozen cartridges, and utilizing Taps and EZ Outs to pull out stuck cartridges.

It could be a Price Pfister "Avante"

Moentrol use a 1225 cartridge but also Has a balance spool off to the side.

The basic Moen shower valve uses a 1225 cartidge also but no Balance spool.

The last picture is a PP Avante. similar but a cap nut holds the catridge in.

Opps forgot the pictures.

Moentrol.jpg

Moen shower valve.jpg

PP Avante.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back