Shower cartridge identification

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dthomas43950

Reaction score
I can’t for the life of me figure out what the model of this shower cartridge is. It pulls out to turn on and turns left and right for hot and cold. It has a clip like Moen faucets that holds it in but doesn’t resemble the typical Moen cartridge(1200 or 1225). Any help would be appreciated.BF3720B6-579C-4115-B872-9A2E714A9276.jpeg

I think you only pulled out the shaft, the rest of the cartridge is probably still stuck in there.

A picture of the shower valve in the wall will verify this.

There are tools that can grab and remove the rest of the cartridge.

The shell of the Moen cartridge is still stuck inside the shower valve body.
The old dried up rubber seals and corrosion practically weld the cartridge to the valve body.
So when you yank on the stem, that is all that comes out.
This is an occasional problem when trying to extract that cartridge.
There are Youtube videos on how to build a home made extractor to get the shell out.
There are also tools available just for this process.
A member on here had a company that made a nice looking tool for this job, maybe someone can dig up a link.
I will look for a Youtube link to a video.

Meanwhile, I would squirt some penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench into where the stem used to be, use the straw to get way into there.
It might help unstick the shell when you try to get it out.
You could also spray straight vinegar into there several times, to dissolve some of the minerals.

Last edited:
The shell of the Moen cartridge is still stuck inside the shower valve body.
The old dried up rubber seals and corrosion practically weld the cartridge to the valve body.
So when you yank on the stem, that is all that comes out.
This is an occasional problem when trying to extract that cartridge.
There are Youtube videos on how to build a home made extractor to get the shell out.
There are also tools available just for this process.
A member on here had a company that made a nice looking tool for this job, maybe someone can dig up a link.
I will look for a Youtube link to a video.
the tool you’re thinking of is the ONA Puller. I have one and it is incredible for pulling moen cartridges. Cartridge removed in no time with no struggle. It’s actually on amazon now. It wasn’t when I got it. @bawalter is the one who makes it.

Latest posts

Back