Shower Cartridge - HELP

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyboy

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a house and quickly realized the master shower had no hot water. I had a plumber look at it and advised that the shower cartridge needed to be replaced. Here is where things get tricky. The shower does not have a shut off valve. I have emailed pictures of the installed cartridge to a number of plumbing supply store and no one can identify it and they want me to bring it in. If I turn off the water to the house and the cartridge breaks when I remove it, I believe I am screwed. Correct? Any thoughts on my next step?

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4476.jpg
    IMG_4476.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 36
It looks like it could be either of the cartridges below. It may be neither though. What I am unsure of it what retains it in the valve body. Thermostatic valves are usually threaded in, or have some sort of spring clip/trim that hold them in. Both of the cartridges that I found have a set screw in them (something I’ve never seen before). I imagine you screw it inward for removal, and screw it outward for installation? I found a YouTube video that shows the set screw being in the right side. The tilers didn’t do you any favors so you can’t access the integral stops(something I have encountered a lot before). Although I usually avoid using integral stops when I can anyway. As long as you find what holds it into the valve, I’ve never damaged this type of valve irreparably.

https://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/product-p/hud-spn322c.htm

https://www.divapor.com/spares/show...rmostatic-cartridge-for-eco-shower-mixers.php

Thank you Kevin. I think I have to remove the cartridge. there is set screw at the bottom. I wonder if there is a way to removr it without cutting the tile. The screw sit just above the tile opening. Very tight fit

Have a nice evening

If it’s an Allen screw, you may be able to cut an L shaped key down to get it to fit. If that doesn’t work, it looks like you’ll need to cut some tile away. Depending on how steady your hands are, a dremel, or an oscillating tool will work. You may want to call a tiler to do this for you though if you’ve never done it before.

Latest posts

Back