Shower arm too high

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerednai

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I recently bought a property. The shower has a very high shower arm which I would like to lower. I tried to use one of the adjustable shower arms but I don't particularly like the look and it was always slightly leaking.
Anyway I thought I had solved the issue by using an s shaped shower arm. These are really designed for increasing the height but thought I could use it to lower the height. The problem is the shower attachment is now pointing to the ceiling. See attached photo (which seems to be rotated 90 degrees :-S ) My question is whether there is a 90 degree angle that I could use to turn the shower attachment back towards the shower?
Sorry for my naivety here - I have only lived in the US for the last 5 yrs.

image.jpg

You have it in backwards. Turn it around.
John - you mean it should be above the wall outlet? i appreciate that but then it will be higher. Ultimately I was trying to achieve a pipe that comes out of the wall then has a 90 degree elbow down then 99 degrees away from the wall this reducing the height of the shower outlet by 10" or so. The pipe in the picture almost does that it's just the last 2nd angle is 45 degrees rather than 90. Anything above 90 degrees would also work. To achieve that it seems I have to make my own but I don't see many 90 degree chrome pipe couplers other than the one i posted a link to which doesn't receive the best reviews.

Maybe I'm being really stupid here but the problem with that is that the angle means the pipe would go back into the wall. I guess I could use a straight to take it out of the wall and then a coupler into the s bend.
Thanks for your help btw.. This is driving me nuts!

If you want to do it right cut the dry wall open. There is a standpipe in the wall that goes to the shower head. Cut it where you want your now shower head and install a drop ear 90* x female thread. Put the shower arm on and replace the drywall you took out.

Use a block and add slide bar with a hand held sprayer.

you'll have to drill a couple holes in the wall to hold the slider or just get a wall bracket to hold the head just above the enclosure and omit the slider.

moen-435-hand-shower-in-oil-rubbed-bronze-479.jpg

Thanks. That was the conclusion I came to as well.
When I went to buy the bits the guy in the plumbing store pointed out that I could just install a regular angler shower arm back to front such that the short part was in the wall. I didn't think would give me a long enough drop but to my surprise it was just about good enough. As this was for a rental property I went with that option as I didn't want to spend all the money on the slide bar etc.

How about this- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-11-in-Raincan-Shower-Arm-in-Chrome-3075-507/204511151

...if you don't want to go into the wall.

And this- https://www.gearhunder.com/shower-head-arm-extension/

...if you want the shower head lower.

Yes, I think you should choose a pipe with adjustable linear shape. Because the shower head was too high for me, I bought waterPoint to lower the shower head height. I have a handheld shower with a hose installed, but I can't reach the hose, so expansion is necessary. Installation is fast and can support new shower heads.

What about replacing it with this,
images

What does your shower head look like?

Latest posts

Back