Shower Arm Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmohandyman

Reaction score
Noticed a lot of dampness under the bathroom tub area. After poking around I found that water had been coming out of the tub/shower pluming wall (maybe for some time). After pulling off the drywall opposite the shower, I found that the shower arm was leaking (a lot) when it was on. I tried to take off the arm and with very little torque it snapped off in my hand, leaving the broken threads in the flanged bronze elbow. I pulled the shower riser off and replaced the elbow then Teflon tapped the crap out of a new chrome shower arm and tested with the shower head on and the head water flow control valve half way closed. I checked the connection and found that it was dripping. I gave the arm another spin and still the same amount of dripping when tested again. It was much tighter than it should have needed to be. I pulled it off again and tried using pipe joint compound (no Teflon) with the same results. Thinking the new bronze elbow might be defective (I’ve had leaky ones before) I found a brass nipple and connected the head up with that in place of the arm and everything was just fine (it’s still connected like that). Is there any heavy duty (schedule 40) brass bent shower arms out there? I can only find the cheap thin walled arms that obviously don’t hold up to normal use when connecting to an articulated, handheld type shower head. I don’t want to close up the wall until I can make sure the connection is not leaking and I don’t want to run the risk of another thin walled arm breaking off or worse, splitting and going undetected for who knows how long.

Any help is appreciated.

Use the blue monster Teflon tape. Also moen makes a good shower arm. Never had a problems with them. Also
you can put some teflon tape on and a little pipe dope for assurance and then tighten it up and check it.

Use the blue monster Teflon tape. Also moen makes a good shower arm. Never had a problems with them. Also
you can put some teflon tape on and a little pipe dope for assurance and then tighten it up and check it.

Thanks TomFOhio, I've decided to go a different way and pick up some chrome plated brass nipples and fittings. And build a custom drop arm that will keep the head close to the wall and bring the head down to where I actually wanted it when I put the shower together using the old (lower) handheld head as a guide. This way I well have a heavy brass pipe entering the wall that should be able to take any force without breaking. The old arm did last nearly 20 years but somehow broke at the threads about two threads into the fitting. I just want the protection of heavier pipe and every thing I'm finding is thinner tubing and not pipe. This will also give me the ability to tighten the fittings to the point of sealing and not to have to risk of making an additional, up to 357° spin, to get it tight and aligned!

Latest posts

Back