Shower arm diverter valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmike

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm trying to add an all metal/brass shower arm diverter valve to have a shower head and handheld. There are many different valves on the market but I couldn't find any that would not restrict the water flow. Here are some pictures (with reviews) I got off of Amazon to show you what I mean.
I would really appreciate your hep in finding the right valve that is not going to restrict the water flow and loose the water pressure on either side
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
check with the shower valve manufacturer they probably either make what you need and will work with your application or can direct you to what off brand diverter works

Modern water conservation doesn't support much in the way of full flow, so
You just have to hunt around and might get lucky.

You would get plenty of flow through a diverter like that.

Unless you have a giant rain head like a dinner plate.

The restrictions come from inside the shower head.
Take out the flow restrictors in the shower head, or in the handheld.

If you can’t find them, Google or Youtube will show you where they are hiding.

Some of them are tighter than a mosquito’s pucker hole.

You would get plenty of flow through a diverter like that.
Unless you have a giant rain head like a dinner plate.
I don't have giant rain head like a dinner plate. My shower head is Pfister Hydrodrench 015-VICC 2.5 GPM. As you can see in the pictures in my initial post people are complaining about loosing the flow. I do know about those plastic restrictors. They don't exist in my setup :). But those small holes in the diverters...
If I would buy one of those valves that are pictured in my initial post and drill bigger holes? Would that work?

Drilling the diverter will not work.
Any tight spots are in your shower head or shower wand.
I disagree with your whole plan, so I am out.

It's not a plan. I was just asking a question. I'm not an expert in plumbing by any means. If I connect either my shower head or handheld directly to the line the pressure is fine, so there are no tight spots in them. I just don't see the same pressure coming put of tiny hole vs standard 1/2"

That “tiny hole” is still many times bigger than the super tight flow restrictors in your shower head or shower wand.

Flow rate and pressure are not the same thing.

Even if there was some slight reduction in performance of your shower head or shower wand, after installing a diverter like you have described, you would get it all back and more by removing the super tight spots that the government forces on the manufacturers.

My shower at home is fed by a 47 year old galvanized pipe, so plugged from rust and minerals that it looks completely blocked.
But amazingly, plenty of water comes through it for a skin tingling shower.

Or at least it does now, AFTER I removed the flow restrictors and some tight mesh screens, in my shower head.

Tight spots add up, remove them where possible.

Imagine 1000 people running down a twenty foot wide hallway, all trying to escape through a little one foot wide doorway.

Now imagine that same crowd but now running down a five foot wide hallway.

The biggest problem is still that little doorway.

I understand exactly what you're saying. Believe me I do have common sense. I have no restrictors in showerhead or shower wand. I removed them long time ago. My handheld wouldn't give me good pressure though even after removing restrictors. So what I did I drilled the bigger hole in the part which is connected to the pipe that comes out of the wall (don't know the name of it). What a difference it was! This is why I asked a question about drilling a hole in the diverter.

Latest posts

Back