Shallow Well Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFF

Reaction score
I have a jet pump to a water tank for a shallow well. We dont use the system everyday, but when we do we use it for a garden. This year we have been trying to get our system to work correctly. When we primed the pump it worked as it should, filling the water tank and seemingly working fine.

Here is the issue: After running the water our pressure gauge will drop to 40 and the pump will turn on to fill tank. But it will not fill the tank. The pressure will remain at 40 psi. If we turn on the water faucet again the pressure will drop slowly and then suddenly drop to 0. The pump will turn back on, get to 28-30 psi max and still not fill the tank.

The foot valve is old on our setup and may be the issue. Im not sure why our system would work fine initially and then after water use not refill the tank. Im hoping anyone could take my scenario and help me with what to try.

Someone suggested that I am losing my prime so I have to reprime each time. However we are still able to get water, it just wont fill the tank. Maybe he is correct and Im just not understanding.

I would guess you have a small suction leak.

What could be the cause of this?

I let pump run and build back up water pressure. I let it set overnight and this morning the pressure was holding. But still nothing to the tank

Air molecules are much smaller than water molecules. A suction leak can let air in under vacuum, but will not leak water out under pressure. If you have a plastic fitting screwed into the pump, that is usually where the leak is. Use a metal nipple about 6-8 inches long on the suction, before attaching PVC, The plastic pipe to the pump gets warm and vibrates and is usually where you find the suction leak. You can use foaming shaving cream on the connection. You can see a hole suck in where the air is leaking in the pipe.

Also you can take the pump off the well and test it in a bucket. If it works fine from the bucket, then you know it is a suction leak.

Alright, I will replace the old foot valve and use your method to check for air leaks. My setup uses brass fittings with 1" poly piping all double clamped in opposite directions.

This is a good place to start. Thanks for the info. Ill update later today.

replaced the foot valve and added the nipple. I decided to redue the suction section of the piping to make sure everything was tightly secured(alternating double clamps). Used the shaving foam after priming and running the pump a few times, could not find any leaks.

The first time I primed it, it primed just fine, filled the tank. Once I used the all the water in the tank and the pump kicked in, again it wouldn't fill the tank.

If I screw out the nut from the place you fill with water to prime, it is topped off. So I believe it is still primed.

I spoke with a older gentlemen who has dealt with pumps and wells his whole life and he thought the issue was between the pump and the water tank. He said that it more than likely had to do with back pressure from the tank. He talked about easing the valve to the tank. I was speaking to him over the phone and he has COPD so it was a bit hard to understand exactly what he was suggesting.

Any thoughts on back pressure from the tank causing my issues?

The current state of my pump is that it is holding at 20psi and not moving. Once I open the faucet it will let out some water until the psi drops to 0. After that the pump kicks on, runs really hot for about 45 seconds holding the psi at 20 to 21 psi.

Thanks for any input. Really trying to figure this thing out and all suggestions are helpful.

OK 20 PSI is a different problem from 28-30 PSI as you previously stated. 20 PSI usually means the jet nozzle is clogged. Use a wire coat hanger and clean out the jet nozzle, which is usually behind the plug that is just under the suction pipe.

Back