Sewer video

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do we need to replace this sewage pipe?

• Yes, tomorrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, within a year

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not for a while

• It’s fine

• Total voters

archsteve

Reaction score
hi Folks,

I had this sewer inspection done at my house as part of a home purchase. Apparently you can see where they previously replaced a stretch of pipe. You can see a couple seams, and a little root intrusion. I’d love to her people’s thoughts on the status of these pipes.

Shortly after this video was taken, we hired a plumber to check on some leaking under the kitchen sink, and a little slow drain in the bathroom. This plumber’s first decision was to inspect this same sewer run with a video (he didn’t even try snaking anything inside the house). He told my wife how horrible the sewage pipes were (cracking and roots). He wanted to immediately start on a 14,000 replacement. I told him I had this video, but he stuck with his story. Any thoughts??

Yeah he getting a cut but . Hard to really judge if fair or not. Depth of line and length of total run. Doesn’t look like a short run. Mini ex isn’t cheap. Even less cheap to have one operated inside a city with any codes. Or a municipal area with osha riding around in trucks. Safety ain’t cheap. Everybody poops on the plumber. But when the hvac guy sells you a $15k system he paid $1100 for. Everyone runs to the bank or signs up for monthly payments. Even a 60’ sewer will have $1100 in material and machines. So don’t scoff his bid until you get at least 2 more opinions. I would say get as many as you can. Until you find the guy you like and trust. Money can’t but love but it can buy a respectable plumber that isn’t drunk and knows what he doing. Find the guy that owns the company but still running big estimates. He is still growing and hasn’t let go of the customer relations yet.

The bid might be totally legit, I just don't think it needs to be done yet. There is no emergency with these pipes, as he was saying.

Yeah he getting a cut but . Hard to really judge if fair or not. Depth of line and length of total run. Doesn’t look like a short run. Mini ex isn’t cheap. Even less cheap to have one operated inside a city with any codes. Or a municipal area with osha riding around in trucks. Safety ain’t cheap. Everybody poops on the plumber. But when the hvac guy sells you a $15k system he paid $1100 for. Everyone runs to the bank or signs up for monthly payments. Even a 60’ sewer will have $1100 in material and machines. So don’t scoff his bid until you get at least 2 more opinions. I would say get as many as you can. Until you find the guy you like and trust. Money can’t but love but it can buy a respectable plumber that isn’t drunk and knows what he doing. Find the guy that owns the company but still running big estimates. He is still growing and hasn’t let go of the customer relations yet.

That taint nothing to worry about.
Go relax. Maybe take a peak at it next summer. I see no reason to replace any of that.
Those roots are minor and make take years before the become a problem.
Looks like a connection to clay pipe. Those rubber coupling usually don't have the band to prevent the pipe from shifting off center.
That's a great example of why you shouldn't use Fernco coupling.
Got to go. The Dinner bell is beeping

Latest posts

Back