Sewer smell from toilet water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckred

Reaction score
We had problems with our aerobic system a few months back that was causing a sewer smell to back up in one of the bathrooms that was an add-on in the garage we took in. The air pump was replaced, but smell remained. We pumped the septic tank, but the smell remained. Turns out there was a broken air line, which the repair guy/service guy replaced, but the smell still remains. I noticed the toilet shifted, pulled it and replaced the wax ring with the newer rubber gaskets by fluid master. Still get a smell, sometimes only when the water surface in the toilet is disturbed, sometimes when the water sits over night. Sometimes there is not smell at all. I have notice the aerobic system too still has a smell that comes and goes at times. The service guy says his crew has checked and everything is fine, we must have a vent issue. I have snaked the vents and drains in that bathroom and still get the come and go smell. The smell doesn't appear to be coming from any of the drains from the sink, shower, or tub, just the toilet. Anyone have a thought on this since sometimes it's only when the water is disturbed in the toilet and other times it's just there?

I would install a wax seal under the toilet and make sure the flange is proper, ( not low or high ).

I read your post and that’s my advice.

So I changed the rubber seal back to a wax seal. The smell is still there and worse now at times. Almost like it is coming up through the water in the toilet and not at the base. I am definitely scratching my head on this one.

Remove the toilet and seal the flange/pipe airtight.

See if the stink goes away.

Post some pics of the floor and flange that you’re working with.

I just noticed, the water level in the bowl is dropping. The toilet itself isn't running, but I can see the water line stain and it is sometimes a good 1/2 or better below where it fills. I researched and found that is due to a clogged vent? But I snaked the vent and found no obstruction.

So as strange as it suddenly came, the mystery odor has gone. I did nothing else since putting the new wax ring on the bottom, and it just suddenly decided to play Bigfoot and disappear. Like the center of a Tootsie roll pop, I guess we will never know what caused it.

And now I may know why....Septic service guy just messaged me he came out last week, disconnected and reconnected the fittings, and now miraculously everything is fine. I guess a bad connection out there causing problems inside.

So, the smell returned. And, by accident, I discovered the source and cure. The new air pump for the septic system that was installed was my culprit. When I moved the cover to check for ant mounds/prevention, I heard a wisp or gushing of air. I moved my hand around and discovered the pipe coming out of the pump to the plumbing(system) was loose. I pushed them back together, no more air sound and no more smell.

Nothing better than finding the root to a mystery problem like you had there. Enjoy the fresh air

Back