Sewer smell from basement drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyb7691

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a sewer drain from which I get a sewer smell from every weekend. The p-trap has water in it.
The smell goes away when I pour water down it but it keeps coming back every week.

The drain may or may not be conected to the weeping tile. The drain has debris in it as
plumbers tried to snake it but could not get through the debris.

The basement and the plumbing was redone 6 years ago. My basement shower drain
sometimes smells sometimes because it is hardly used and the water in the p-trap evaporates,
but this drain has water and still smells.

Any thoughts why?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

I have a sewer drain from which I get a sewer smell from every weekend. The p-trap has water in it.
The smell goes away when I pour water down it but it keeps coming back every week.

The drain may or may not be conected to the weeping tile. The drain has debris in it as
plumbers tried to snake it but could not get through the debris.

The basement and the plumbing was redone 6 years ago. My basement shower drain
sometimes smells sometimes because it is hardly used and the water in the p-trap evaporates,
but this drain has water and still smells.

Any thoughts why?

Thanks in advance.
is your basement plumbing on a pump??? when you say weeping tile do you mean the drain is backing up was ALL of the basement drain redone or just some of it...have you tried to wet vac the drain out...is the drain that cant be snake also part of the new plumbing...what drains into it???

Hi Geofd

-There is no sump pump
-Basement all new plumbing and and exterior waterproofing done same time.
-Drain is in washing machine room (right beside foundation wall)
-Basement shower and stack from upstairs connect seperately to main line.
-Drain not backing up just smell
-Haven't tried to wet vac debris.
-Not sure what drains into it possibly washing machine?

thanks

is your basement plumbing on a pump??? when you say weeping tile do you mean the drain is backing up was ALL of the basement drain redone or just some of it...have you tried to wet vac the drain out...is the drain that cant be snake also part of the new plumbing...what drains into it???
well I'm still not sure what a weeping tile is ifthe drain in question smells i would wet vac it out to see its condition...it may be a cleanout that's missing its cover.....but until you vac it out its just a guess

Latest posts

Back