Sewer smell after moving washer hookup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pipe closest to us in the pic is the one running to the sink upstairs

Other pic as you can see the vent is running up to a drain that comes out of my sink from the floor above

You can't run a vent up to a drain. Vent has to connect to another vent above the flood rim of that fixture.

The picture I modified is what I think you are describing.

I use Paint program in windows to modify photos

222.jpg

plumbing drain diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's the same line. It (water)runs to the right as we are looking at the pic. I really appreciate all the help here. You guys are great. My contractor will be making this right.

The pipe in red at the bottom that is running into the wall curves to go to a pipe that runs into the floor and it was the previous washer drain hookup that caused zero problems.

Yes, it's the same line. It (water)runs to the right as we are looking at the pic. I really appreciate all the help here. You guys are great. My contractor will be making this right.

you mean the same contractor that did this hack job in the first place ?

I would DEMAND a licensed plumber to fix this.

who ever did this work knows NOTHING about drains and vents

where is the vent for the washing maching drain that was their before
this work took place ?

how was the drain piping configured before the work ?

these questions are important

you mean the same contractor that did this hack job in the first place ?

I would DEMAND a licensed plumber to fix this.

who ever did this work knows NOTHING about drains and vents

where is the vent for the washing maching drain that was their before
this work took place ?

how was the drain piping configured before the work ?

these questions are important

Contractor is actually going to bring in a plumber. Prior to the work the washing machine was ran to a drain that runs into the concrete floor, so I am unsure of how it was vented. I know that it ran to my main sewage drain on the wall across the room. We never had any problems with the previous setup. As soon as they extended the hookup, we started having the problems. The pipe that you see going into the wall curves to run to the previous drain. I wish I had pictures of that set up, but I sadly do not.

did any of the university rejects bother to check the pipe your washer drained into to verify if it was trapped or not?

before hooking up pipes to the line ?

>>>>IF<<<< the pipe coming out of the ground is a drain pipe and not trapped.

this, is what your plumbing should look like.

0qhhhhhh.jpg

column.jpg

New improved version. Curious about something Froto. My construction guy was here after the plumber left. He ask me to ask you on here if it would cause an issue that the previous drain would have been on an "open" system going to a now "closed" plumbing system and how this might effect things? We are not sure if we are getting the smell or not. Currently running the washer and dishwasher to see if the smell returns.

Back