Sewer smell after moving washer hookup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wvtrumpet

Reaction score
I just had my basement remodeled. In the process my washing machine was moved approximately 8 ft and a washing tub sink was added to the line. The new hookup was plumbed with a trap and was ran into the former drain. A wet vent was installed and everything seems to have been done correctly. Here is the problem. On the top floor ( third floor) anytime we run the washer in the basement or my dishwasher on the main floor ( shares the same line) we are getting sewer gas in the upstairs (third floor) bathroom and in a closet that shares the same wall. The closet has a washer hookup that I plugged some time ago with a test plug. We have never had this smell until the construction took place.

We have tried to fix this issue by installing a studor valve on the sink with the dishwasher in our kitchen and we changed the toilet seal in the upstairs bathroom. Still getting the smell. Advice would be appreciated. Our next move is a studor vent on the upstairs bathroom sink.

By the way, we can't seem to trace the smells orgins it just seems to fill the closet and the bath.

couple of thoughts. the plumbing was moved 8'

what happened to the old pipe ? was it capped ?

secondly, where did they run the vent for the new sink ?

third post a piture of the washer/ sink drain piping

I will have to get the answers to those question this evening. Here is a photo befor drywall was brought in of the washer and dryer.

image.jpg

I do know that the old was tape into with a T. Not sure about how it was vented.

So I know, can you fill me in on what's wrong and do you see it causing the problems that I mentioned?

I know nothing about venting myself, but it sure looks wrong. Could you please draw up the appropriate fix for us frodo?

It is tied up above into a drain that is running across the ceiling that comes from the kitchen sink above

It is vented up into a drain line that is running across the basement ceiling that comes from the kitchen sink.

Frodo....in case I forget I really appreciate your help. I am forwarding this info to my contractor so we can get this made right. I can't continue smelling sewer gas.

I will snap one tonight. �� Working now ��

Other pic as you can see the vent is running up to a drain that comes out of my sink from the floor above

image.jpg

Back