Sewer scope- Opinions?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do?

• Try to have sellers fix it/ Buyer credit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have sellers clean it out and inspect for further damage. If ok proceed with annual treatments

• Cut it down and plant non invasive type tree in its place

• Total voters

sbc83

Reaction score
Thank you for having me.

I had a scope done as part of a home inspection and am curious as to what people with more knowledge than me think about it. Some have said, "No biggy, clean it out and treat it annually" to " Garbage, replace it".

Sewer line is within 7' of a beautiful Silver/Norway Maple in the front yard.

Video is upside down and is traveling from the city line to the house. Technician had to poke holes in order to get it all the way through. Suggested a hydrojetting. Worth noting that it's all his company does, doesn't do repairs.

I don't think hydrojetting is going to get rid of your root problem.

I don't think hydrojetting is going to get rid of your root problem.

That's what I was thinking. It looks like a job for an auger, roughly a dozen passes. Lol.

Worth noting that there is no exterior clean-out on the property.

Might also want to see about re piping or getting someone who does pipe bursting. Even an auger is a temporary solution to roots.

once you have roots its pretty much camera and snake on a yearly basis the pipe looks pretty good there is root killer you can buy its called rootx I think.....your drain must be clean you pour it into your toilet it foams then you flush....not sure how it works...I take care of root issues for a couple of people once a year I camera and if it needs it I snake
you can have your drain relined but that's expensive but its garuanteed for years I work at a college and we have done it 3-4 times if there is no exterior cleanout that's the first thing I would spend money on.....better to open a clean out on the lawn than a finished basement

Jetted can cut those roots quicker than an auger. Either way is temporary. Budget for replacement. Hard to vote on who pays for it without knowing details. Every opinion weighs on money. The snake guy wants to “ save” you from total replacement but he is just good at telling people this is normal. And continuing to Nickle and dime you to bankruptcy. Save up. Don’t call the biggest advertisement you see. But it does boil down to the green backs. Don’t get the cheapest either. You want the guy that knows pvc can be ran so you never have an issue. Even roots can’t pentrate if joints are glued and ditch is bedded correctly without rocks.

Back