Sewer Pipe Auger Recommendation.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerSmithiii

Reaction score
I have a mother in law apartment over a separate garage. The apartment sewer line connects to the main house, and then empties into a septic tank. The apartment is plumbed with 6 inch PVC.

The bathroom sink is running very slow, and now the toilet (a Toto) doesn't eliminate all solid waste from the bowl. I have to flush twice. The water leaves the bowl just fine, but it's almost as if there's not enough water going out of the bowl to carry all the solid waste. The identical Toto in the main house works just fine.

I called Toto, and they had me do the flush a penny test, as well as flush toilet paper. The penny went down fine. The toilet paper did not fully leave the bowl. I had to flush a second time.

The kitchen sink in the apartment drains perfectly. All of the fixtures in the main house drain fine too.

Any ideas?

Also, can you recommend a 25 or a 50 foot manual drain auger to buy? The reviews on the HD part seems to suggest it's not of great quality.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-50-ft-Drain-Auger-BC30500/100534792

Thanks

Home Depot will rent you an electric power auger. I would go that route before I wasted money buying a manual auger.

...was suggestion for bathroom sink, of course it's not going to do anything to 6" pipe/other issues.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset I'll step.

...it's more like "kid doable" than "kid safe" but I suppose it is actually "safer" too.

yes I am.

Well, after all the iterations, I finally admitted defeat and called a plumber.

He arrived, and after watching the toilet flush, he indicated that something was wrong. The flush was really weak.

He snaked his auger down, and did his thing, but it didnt help. I explained all of the things that I did, and he was stumped.

As he was about to go, he said that when he was snaking the auger down the trap, it felt funny. So he went out to his truck, and retrieved an auger with a larger tip.

Sure enough, after augering it out, he pulled out a wad of paper, wrapped around a 2 inch plastic dish scraper.

Apparently, a normal auger pushed right by the scraper, which was wedged up in the trap. The larger tip auger caught it, and pulled it out.

No idea if the cat, the housekeeper or a ghost put it in there, and flushed it down.

Problem solved, and it only cost me $60. Well worth the effort.

Plus, I know have an honest plumber who can do work.

Thanks for all of your help.

Latest posts

Back