Sewer Gas

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNeedHelp

Reaction score
I have been having sewer gas smell in my house for the past few years every summer. Recently I have been having some health conditions that I believe are related to these gases.
I called out a plumber and the prices they quoted are not feasible for me. So I did a bit of DIY, and found where the leak was coming from, in a pipe that goes almost under the house. This pipe will be very hard to repair without digging in from outside of the house. So my question is will putting a p-trap on the main line into the house stop the sewer gas from completely coming in???? Or is there something im not understanding here.

What did the plumber propose to solve the problem? Why aren't the existing p-traps functioning correctly now?

Well he didnt know where the problem was coming from. so he proposed a smoke test and then quoted me for the smoke test, redoing the trap and the vent. Then he quoted me a worse case scenario re-doing the line from under the house by tunneling under for the laundry line and installing a new washer box.
So i ended up doing my own smoke test and found the leak was coming from an angle under my house, think it is in just the general piping and not from any trap not working. But my reasoning by just installing a p trap on the main line, is if there is a seal of water from the main line, doesnt that mean that no sewage gas can come into my house??

House traps in most areas are no longer allowed. They cause more problems then they solve. One of the main problems was causing main line stoppages. If you have a leaking or broken waste line where is the waste water going? If it's going under the house that alone could be causing your health problems. Your best bet is to have the line repaired and it will solve both problems. Sewer gas and unhealthy conditions from waste water leaking under your house.

John

Latest posts

Back