Sewer gas smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mhakin67

Reaction score
I have been having a sewer gas smell everytime we drain the washing machine. The smell does not come from the laundry room. It seems like it's coming from the floor, in out dining room. Keep in mind that we have had several plumbers out to look at this. We have had a video camera down the drains and and nothing looks cracked or damaged. All plumbers have basically said they have no idea where its coming from. Any thoughts?

All traps are good. We are on a slab no basement, smell seems to be coming from the ground

Just the sewer line, check water meter with no water running and that was fine. Figured if it was a water leak we would smell it all the time. But smell only last for 5 minutes

Get the washer line camerad. Should have a vent they can go down with a smaller camera to check it. Might have a break in that branch line. They do smell very bad if the water ferments for long enough. And would make sense for when you run the washer. Just stirring all the nastiness up.

I do have another vent on my kitchen sink that was not checked. If it was clogged could that cause the smell

Sounds like you did the main vent. Should have smaller vent lines on the house for certain individuals branch lines. Correct me if I'm wrong. Typically have individual vents for washer lines, kitchen lines and then you will have your main vent line.

A clogged line wouldn't create a smell under the house. Sorry, but get that kitchen vent line camerad. Hopefully it ties in with the washer line and you can get a definitive answer.

We took the camera down the washer line vent and another I guess vent that was on the side of the house

Hmmmmm. My initial thought was that something is cracked under the house and the gases are pushing through crack in the slab floor. I would make sure that every inch of the branch lines are scoped before taking any drastic measures.

What about the other vent on the opposite side of the house? If it was clogged could that be the issue?

Not necessarily. You run a big gush of water through and it's pushing gases back while it's draining. If you had a major leak of water under the house that had been fermenting for a long time then yes. Are the lines under the house cast iron, ABS, pvc.

Well. If there is a crack in pvc. Should be easy enough to find. If you have a crack in cast iron. Could be very difficult to find from the inside with a camera. My thought is you have a crack in the line and when you push the large gush of water out the gases come back through the crack. I would make sure every inch of the washer line and kitchen if it's close enough is inspected very thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back