sewer gas escaping from basement floor drain with water in the trap!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhead1

Reaction score
I have large amounts of sewer gas escaping from basement floor drain. The trap has water in it. I have flushed it out for 5 minutes with a hose ( while this is happening a large amount of gas escapes) after 2 days the gas is escaping again(from the trap) and the water in the trap looks nasty again. The gas odor is strong and undoubtably coming from the drain. I have repeated this 4 times in the last 2 weeks. 3 days ago the local sewer district came out ( after I already poured water down the drain and the gas was not as strong) and said because it is not overflowing or no other pluming in the house is backed up that the problem must be in the house and not with the city sewers. I wanted to see if anyone had an Idea on what this could be before I called a plumber so I would know what I am getting into? Does this sound familiar? Any Ideas?

Sounds like a back pressure issue. I would try flushing and draining everything in the house while someone watches the trap. Try to get it to bubble draining something in the house. If you can't get it to bubble from this it might be coming from elsewhere.

Jeremy
Metolius River Plumbing

I agree with burhly. We don't have a lot of basement drains here but when we do have sewer odors escaping from a supposedly primed traps it could be that your drain, especially the main should be cleaned. You might be getting some back wash in the trap water.

If the drain piping is clear and flowing properly, it must be a vent, or lack of one. Watch the water in the floor drain trap while someone flushes a toilet. If the water moves or drains out, you have a clogged vent pipe, or, there is no vent tied into the floor drain.

Latest posts

Back