Sewage smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camoderek

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new here but i have a question i hope you call can help with. I live in FL i have owned my home for almost 4 years its a 3/2

I noticed a smell a long time ago, the smell of raw sewage coming from my spare bathroom on other side of my house i do not use this bathroom often. The smell comes at random times mid day evening and sometimes at night. It comes and goes lasting usually about 1-2hr. I have noticed that the smell could be smelled in my front yard outside on the same wall that shares the bathroom. The bathroom is all original other than vanity sink and toilet built in 1958. I have been told its my P trap from friends but i was not sure if it could be... they said that if i run water in the tub or take a shower in there it would help i have and it does not seem to help. let me know if you need further info..

Thank you,
Derek

ok, Derek it can be plenty of things, i take you thru the list... All fixtures must have water in them to prevent sewer gas from coming into your home, make sure water is ran down all pipes, even 5 seconds will work, this also goes for any floor drain.. 2nd, bathroom sink drains "STINK" hair, toothpaste spit, etc will smell. 3rd toilet wax ring may not be sealed, Then we have the Pro issues of a disconnected/cracked vent, or as i seen, some bozo left the vent cut off in the wall and NOT running out the roof like it should be..."just sniff around all of the above and im sure you will find your problem" Good Luck

Back