Sewage smell thru bathroom sinks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heater, I'm glad you figured out the problem for some of the sinks and managed to get things resolved.

IFIXH20, thanks for the info explaining about it being the water in the P-trap and not the pipe length. Also, the vinegar thing sounds like a good idea for cleaning the overflow.

Hi Zanne,

The smell is back with a vengeance! All 3 sinks again. I covered the sink overflow with tape and the smell came out the sink drain instead. I sent compressed air up the 2" stack vent and checked the vents on the roof. All had air coming from them.

I think there is a design flaw in this plumbing system, as none of the vents appear to be clogged or blocked. I am going to have to locate a good plumber.

Thanks for all of your help on this. When i figure out what caused this I will post the answer and solution. (Hopefully, I don't have to pawn my computer to pay the plumber)

Yikes. Sorry the things you tried to resolve it didn't work. I hope you get a good plumber for a decent price and can get things solved.

I think I figured it out...AGAIN. I went up to the roof and added a four foot extension to the two vent stacks the involved sinks use. The additional 4 feet to the stack cleared the high point of the roof in both applications. I came down and checked the sinks. After testing ALL of them several times, I can happily report that the smell is no longer coming up the overflow or drain of any of the involved sinks.

I think the fact the home is located in a fairly deep canyon caused this "venting problem." I do not think the UPC codes take "canyons" into account when they publish their codes. It seems to be the answer to this particular problem.

Thank you everybody for helping me. I know I learned something here.

I think I figured it out...AGAIN. I went up to the roof and added a four foot extension to the two vent stacks the involved sinks use. The additional 4 feet to the stack cleared the high point of the roof in both applications. I came down and checked the sinks. After testing ALL of them several times, I can happily report that the smell is no longer coming up the overflow or drain of any of the involved sinks.

I think the fact the home is located in a fairly deep canyon caused this "venting problem." I do not think the UPC codes take "canyons" into account when they publish their codes. It seems to be the answer to this particular problem.

Thank you everybody for helping me. I know I learned something here.

That's interesting. I didn't realize the height of the vent stack could have that effect.

I really hope that it has cleared up now.

Hi Zanne,

It is definitely related to the stack height. I think it really has a lot to do with the fact the house is located in a fairly deep canyon and therefore has less wind to create a pressure differential and get the gas flowing out of the stack.

I have been watching and testing when there is a breeze versus when it is still in the canyon. When there is a breeze, there is no smell of sewer gas from any of the sinks. When it is calm, there is still a slight sewer gas smell, but hardly as pronounced as it was prior to increasing the stack length.

It seems to be somewhat of a unique problem and the recommendation that I add even more length to the involved vent stacks came from a fella named Stuart Meade, who has a business in Indiana, designing and installing septic systems.

I had added a 2 foot length to each stack initially and he recommended I add even more length and re-check. It made a world of difference and it makes sense in that the extra length would potentially get more airflow across the stack, thereby creating the pressure differential needed to vent properly. So, i now have two vent stacks that are about 4 and a half feet from the roof. The worst sink vent stack now clears the highest point of the roof, so I know that alone allows it to get more airflow across the stack.

My concern now is the stacks becoming "sails" in a Winter storm.

Thanks for all your help. I am elated I did not have to call in a Plumber, as I doubt the diagnosis and "fix" would have been as easy on the old wallet.

Thanks again.

I'm no expert on aerodynamics, but with the way vent stacks are shaped, I don't know if winter storms would affect them.

I'm glad that extending the vent stacks worked to resolve the problem and that you didn't have to hire a plumber for it.

Thanks for updating us on the progress. Hope things are finally cleared up for you now.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back