Sewage Smell from Laundry Room

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard411

Reaction score
So I have what is a sewer type smell from the Laundry room (basement level of a 3 level TH). I've had this once or twice before and it lasted a couple of days and went away, but I'm concerned it keeps happening.

Last night moved both the Washer and Dryer to see if there was any mold or leaks or dead rodents or anything on the floor, but they were fine (I cleaned the floor anyways).

Today I flushed the Washing machine with Baking Soda and Vinegar.

I've attached a photo of how the water line/drain valve is. There is hot/cold, a drain line and a studor vent. Is it possible the vent is bad? Could anything else be causing this?

Attachments

• 20191111_084654.jpg
    20191111_084654.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
Change that studor vent. The spring may have failed and it is stuck open

Thank you, actually picked one up earlier today to see if that is the issue. Guess it will take a few days for the smell to dissipate if it worked.

Try checking periodically to see if the trap has water in it. If you're able to stick something down there, it should have at least 3-1/2" to 4"of water in it at all times.
Could be as low as 3" due to curved trap bottom but I think you can allow for that.
P-traps.jpg

Last edited:
If there is a floor drain, its trap might have gone dry.

Also, is there a sump pump or sewage ejector in the basement?

We had the same problem several years ago after moving into a new house. The house was brand and we had been there for a few months so did not relate it to a plumbing issue. Come to find out that during construction the plumber had NOT INSTALLED a trap for the washer at all!

Just for a test, try packing a wet rag around the drain hose at the opening into the valve box on the wall.

If this helps with the smell, then there is a problem with the trap, or no trap as Tom above here has experienced.
Or the AAV is configured wrong somehow.

Latest posts

Back