Sewage pump installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmorrisk2j

Reaction score
We just had a sewage basin and pump installed at our cottage in Quebec. This is for a powder room and laundry.

We had it done by a licensed plumber.

Yesterday was the first day i got to inspect the work done. It all looked clean and well done however I noticed a couple things.

The installation material said the check valve must be installed horizontally and the check valve itself that was used has a label saying that it is for horizontal installation yet it was installed vertically. The plumber said he always installs these vertically. He says it is the same vertically or horizontally, even better closure vertically. I would think there would be more pressure installed vertically making it harder to eject and more of a chance of a solids settling on it possibly jamming it closed. He is willing to change it if I insist. Should I?

Also he wet vented it rather than tied it directly to the vent that was accessible. Not sure why he did that, should I insist that be changed?

I know there are a lot of things that can be done differently and if the above aren’t necessarily a big deal then I don’t mind keeping it as is.

thanks.

Can you take a picture. I'm not sure what you mean by wet vent.

I’m not there any more, I had taken a video and grabbed this screen shot.

he attached the vent to the top of a toilet pipe

Attachments

• 540A50DA-D0CC-4759-873B-58E7D9554A64.png
    540A50DA-D0CC-4759-873B-58E7D9554A64.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 19
I guess I would just say it's not how I'd do it, but if he's willing to stand behind his work then I'd let it go.

You’re right about the check valve.

You’re also right about the vent.

The vent won’t cause you any issues unless that toilet arm backs up.

the check valve might cause problems, might not. It’s not ideal on the vertical for reasons stated.

I've always and so has everyone I know, installed the check valve on the vertical for a sewage basin.

vertical is all I have ever seen

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 7
makes sense
The only time I’ve seen it cause a problem is when the system doesn’t get much use.

I’ve had problems at vacation homes with vertically mounted checks on sewage pumps, not clear water pumps.

I tell customers if they can see or find the check valve to tap it with a hammer while someone manually turns the pump on. That usually costs me $200 but saves the customer$200. 🤣

Latest posts

Back