Sewage Junction Responsibility

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraser Chill

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need your advice. First time poster.
NB: Attached pictures for reference and apologies for long post and any poor wording/terms.

mUfmWJ
m5kaQd

FYI - I am located in Constitution Hill, NSW

On Thursday 19th April, we noticed water was not going down the drain for our downstairs bathroom amenities.
We called a 24hr plumber out. He opened the ‘overflow(?)’ housing within our property. This relieved the built up waste in our piping.
The plumber dropped a jet hose from the ‘overflow’ pipe which then stopped under the nature strip.
He advised there is a blockage under the nature strip approx. 1.5. from the street curb.
He advised he could fix the issue and quoted me $5060 with $3000 upfront and $2060 on a repayment option.
Being a health and safety concern, and needing our water services, I agreed.
He then arranged to have an excavator to come out and dig up the nature strip on the following Saturday 21st April.
After work was carried out for most of the day – he informed me that he fixed the location of the original blockage however noticed the sewage main was also blocked/damaged and required Sydney Water (SW) to replace the junction, which he would arrange.

I received a call from the plumber on Monday 30th April, advising SW are refusing to replace the junction as it has not been exposed/excavated enough.
The plumber advised he would need to arrange an excavator to perform this which is a further $4400 (inc. GST)
SW would then come out and replace the sewage main junction. The plumber would come back and fill in the pit.
I subsequently called SW to confirm the situation, and request compensation for work performed on the nature strip.

SW confirmed the site was inspected and noted further excavation required. Plumber refused to perform at this stage.
SW advised I contact Dept. Fair Trading – Plumbing and also provided a Sewage Choke Claim Form.
I since contacted Fair Trading yet however was advised they do not cover works outside of the propery.
SW policy notes they would repair works of 1 meter from the Sewage Main including the junction to our property.

My understanding now is that;
  • The plumber is to complete the excavation as he should have the first time – at no further charge. As this is common practice for sewage main related issues.
  • SW should reimburse the work performed.
  • SW to replace the sewage main junction for free
Questions;
Is my understanding correct?
Has the plumber charged a fair amount? for the original works and/or the additional works to be completed?
What should i do next?

Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• Plumbing 1a.jpg
    Plumbing 1a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Plumbing 2a.jpg
    Plumbing 2a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
No you were not charged fairly as far as i am concerned, but i put some blame on you as you ALWAYS NEED A SECOND OPINION. It is a fact that some people are just crooks. So if you could break it down for me. You were charged how many dollars to replace how much pipe in feet please.

No you were not charged fairly as far as i am concerned, but i put some blame on you as you ALWAYS NEED A SECOND OPINION. It is a fact that some people are just crooks. So if you could break it down for me. You were charged how many dollars to replace how much pipe in feet please.
Thanks for the reply. Agree i feel like an idiot for agreeing to the work without a second PROFESSIONAL opinion. (Calling a trade friend obviously wasn't sufficient enough)
Please note i am from Australia and prices are AUD.
For some reference. To diagnose where the blockage is and dropping the jet hose was about AUD$490
The $5060 is including our 10% goods and services tax, so the figure is actually AUD$4600.
This would be for excavating the nature strip in-front of my property. (Which is technically council property.)
Replacing about 4m/13ft. of horizontal and vertical plumbing. ( All within the nature strip - nothing within my property)
The other issue as mentioned. "Sydney Water" is the water/sewage supplier. They are typically responsible for all nature strip located issues up to within 1metre/3ft. of our property. The plumber advised there was a secondary blockage on the sewage main junction (Property of Sydney Water) and would replace if the location was excavated thoroughly. The plumber is now quoting an additional AUD$4000 to come back out and finish off the job i think he should've completed the first time he was out.
Not sure if the same in the US but would still appreciate the input.
Cheers,

Not sure on who is responsible for what in that case. I agree they should have handled it when everything was going on. You would have to see the work order that you signed and you may want to contact a lawyer and that might light a fire under his backside to do the right thing

Latest posts

Back