Sewage ejector system tie in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfeno

Reaction score
I'm building a 2nd bathroom at my house, and the location of the room requires a sewage ejector system to get the waste over to the building drain. My building drain goes out horizontally through my basement wall (pitched of course) in 4" cast iron. the connection from the existing toilet upstairs comes in right before it exits the building. My intention is to tie the 2 inch sewage ejector discharge into the horizontal part of the drain by extending the cleanout connection and coming in through a wye. There will still be a cleanout, it will just be extended by about a foot. Is this OK? it seems so, but the code is written a little fuzzy for me. I also need to connect a washing machine drain at this point. I've looked a little regarding washing machine drains, and all I see are standpipes. Is it OK to just connect it directly to the building drain instead of using a standpipe?

Thanks

Is the washing machine in the basement as well?
You will need a stand pipe with a p-trap and a vent to protect the trap. Send it to the sump.
for ejector connection to end of extended cleanout use a wye. Roll the wye up above horizontal. make sure you have a check valve on the sump discharge.
You are also going to have to vent the sump to outside. Do Not use an AAV.

Thanks,

the washing machine is existing, and is right next to the building drain. it is currently just connected to the cleanout (no trap or vent) and has been for decades. The washing machine is not near the ejector sump. So by code, there has to be a standpipe to drain a washing machine into? this is a renovation, and it will be nearly impossible to vent a trap in the location of the washing machine. the base of the exisiting soil stack is right there, and it goes through the roof. in a last case scenario, could I use an AAV to vent the trap for a washing machine drain?

the sewage ejector system is on the other side of the building (the whole reason I need it in the first place)

the sewage also needs to be vented
if you put a sewage ejector on the same line as the illegal washing machine hook up
IF there is ever a partial blockage, the sewer will pump out of the washer drain all over the floor
a picture of the piping would help in doing away with maybe and i think

I guess, but if we did a "legal" washing machine drain, it would be an open standpipe only about 40 inches off the floor (in the basement). even if it was vented, and there were a partial blockage in the sewer, even flushing the toilet from the 2nd floor would fill the vent and the standpipe, and still spill out all over the floor. I know its not to code, but as its connected now, the worst that could happen is that it could back up into the washing machine.

Attached is a quick drawing.

Thanks

plumb.jpg

That will work. put a trap and a vent for the laundry. AAV will protect the trap from being siphoned out. The trap is to keep out the sewer gases especially when the sump is discharging.

Latest posts

Back