Sewage ejector shakes and breaks pipes loose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrkerr

Reaction score
I have a sewage ejector in my basement that ejects a sink, toilet, and shower. It pumps up about 10 feet to join in the ground-level pipe to the septic tank. The house was built in 2004, and presumably this was installed by the builder at that time, although it may have been put in later by the previous owner when the basement was finished. It appears to be done correctly - vented, etc.

The problem is that every time the pump turns on, once it turns off there is a huge THUNK. I'm pretty sure it is the force of the water hitting the check valve. The check valve is about a foot on top of the tank, so about 9 feet from the sewer line it connects in to.

Eventually after enough of those THUNKs, the hose clamps on the rubber connectors between the PVC pipe and check valve will loosen up and high-pressure sewage will shoot out all over the room, which is a nasty thing to clean up!

The pipes run up the middle of a small closet-sized room, so I can't easily attach them to something solid to prevent the thunk. I can possibly secure them better in the ceiling. If I had to, I could run a 2x4 down from the ceiling to the floor and attach it.

I haven't found any code or guidelines on this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I can post a picture if that helps.

Thanks!

You could try putting the rubber connector under the check-valve. That would take the shock off of it when the pump shuts off.

Do you use a fernco coupling like the first picture?
Try replacing it with a no-hub coupling and the PVC No-hub adpters.
The adapters have a little ridge on the end to help prevent the neoprene from slipping off.
The last picture is a recent repair ( to ABS) using this method

fernco.jpg

no-hub.jpg

no-hub adapter.jpg

no-hub repair.jpg

Last edited:
If you can install a 2x4 horizontally in the closet would be a better way to brace it. vertically the 2x4 can flex with the drain, maybe you use a 4x4.
or you can 45 the drain toward the wall to strap it there and then a couple 90's back to the connection

Latest posts

Back