Sewage backup is my septic system failing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddrnkm

Reaction score
Sewage drains into the basement whenever any water goes down the drain. Snaked the pipes and didn't hit anything. A couple years ago the landlord dug a few holes over the septic tank for some reason (not sure if he did that so he could pump it out or what). The holes are still there covered with plywood. Not sure where the drain field is, but the grass isn't extra green anywhere except for a line where water had been running out of one of the holes over the tank (the holes pretty much stay full). I'm wondering if it just needs to be pumped or if it's dead. The house was built in the 70s and I'm pretty sure it still has the original system. I'm renting from a family friend and he's giving me a deal so if he ends up having to drop $10,000+ on a new septic system he might just sell the house. He's got a guy coming to look at it (hopefully) tomorrow but I'm a little worried.

Ok number one. Plywood over septic tank instead of lids if that's what is happening is a major no no. Second the lids should be above grade so there is no ground water seepage. Yes the do still need to be pumped ever so many years as sludge builds up.

Back