Several Pex pinhole leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC159

Reaction score
Bought a new Clayton mobile home about 10 years ago. About 20 months ago I got a pinhole leak in the red Pex water line coming out of the water heater. 2 weeks later I got another hole about a foot from the first one. 6 months later I got a pinhole in the water line going to the fridge. It was not pex. After discovering another leak, this time under the floor my plumber checked the water pressure and it was 150. He said that was causing my pinhole leaks and replaced the pressure regulator. A year went by with no leaks and now I have had 2 leaks just in a week. Does anyone know why I I'm getting pinhole leaks? Did the 150 pressure weaken the pipes? I think im going to have to replace all the plumbing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Have you checked the water pressure since you've been getting new leaks? PRV's can go bad.

Have you checked the water pressure since you've been getting new leaks? PRV's can go bad.
I had a PRV installed when I got city water. That was about 6 years ago. That PRV went bad. Thats when my pressure went to 150. I installed a new PRV last August. I just checked the pressure yesterday and it is 49psi

I had a PRV installed when I got city water. That was about 6 years ago. That PRV went bad. Thats when my pressure went to 150. I installed a new PRV last August. I just checked the pressure yesterday and it is 49psi
My brother told me to set it at 30. Not sure if I would have enough pressure at 30?

You say it is not PEX. But your title says opposite.
Genuine PEX will have the mfrs info printed every few feet and it is warranted.
Pressure for true industry standard pex is fine at 75-80 psi range.
Rodents chew through my outdoor irrigation pipe nightly, causing sprays, but I can see the gnaw marks.

You say it is not PEX. But your title says opposite.
Genuine PEX will have the mfrs info printed every few feet and it is warranted.
Pressure for true industry standard pex is fine at 75-80 psi range.
Rodents chew through my outdoor irrigation pipe nightly, causing sprays, but I can see the gnaw marks.
The pipe coming through the floor to the fridge/ice maker is not pex. It is pvc or cpvc. It has pinhole leaks and the red and blue pex has leaks. There is no gnaw marks on any of the 7 leaks I have had.

i would contact the manufacturer an see if the 150 psi caused permanent damage there is also pex out there that
has lawsuits against them , one was due to the metals they were using in the fittings, but these leaks were showing up at the joint connections, but there maybe other lawsuits for inferior pipe,i would first contact the manufacturer

Last edited:
I read in one place (Ridgid site) that there is a cedarbug/stinkbug that bores into pex causing tiny spray that you can barely see. Not proven, so may be worthless info.
What is the mfr.?

Here's a pic of pipe. I just lower pressure from 49 to 35. Thats as low as I can go and still have pressure. Maybe that will stop the leaks? I probably need to call the manufacturer and listen to what they have to say. Thanks for the replies!IMG_20200906_160856729.jpg

Yep, lots of 'em!

The lawsuit alleges that NIBCO PEX tubing is prone to oxidization. Oxidization is the process whereby oxygen affects the quality of a material, such as metal or plastic. This can occur if the material was not treated properly or was defectively designed. Oxidization of PEX tubing can lead to cracks and ruptures.Jun 11, 2014

NIBCO Dura Pex Lawsuit | Plumbing Problems | ClassAction.org
www.classaction.org › nibco-cpi-pex-plumbing

Feedback
About Featured Snippets

How to File a Claim for the NIBCO PEX Tubing Settlement
www.classaction.org › Blog

Nov 6, 2018 - The products covered in the lawsuit are NIBCO tubing, fittings, and clamps that were used in residential and commercial plumbing, including for ...

I filled out an online claim. If im reading it right, 2019 was the deadline to file a claim. Im going to give them a call and see what's up. In the meantime I adjusted my PRV from 50 to 30 hoping that will stop the pinhole leaks. I'll listen to any advice I can get. Im not a plumber, just a home owner trying to get this straightened out. Thanks again for the help!

Wow. I had not been aware of this settlement. You certainly have the exact product. Nibco is still in business, but no PEX for them any longer.
Uponor PEX is excellent and will be fine if you have to repipe.
If you don't have the money to hire the work out, you could do it yourself with Sharkbites.

Wow. I had not been aware of this settlement. You certainly have the exact product. Nibco is still in business, but no PEX for them any longer.
Uponor PEX is excellent and will be fine if you have to repipe.
If you don't have the money to hire the work out, you could do it yourself with Sharkbites.
If I had the time I think I could do it myself. Do you have any idea what it might cost to have it repiped? 44ft long double wide, all the plumbing is on one side which im sure you already know. 2 full baths .

I can guess the amount of time it might take, and it does depend on fine points, so this is WAG: One journeyman plumber, less than a day. Depending on crawl space height and conditions.
Rates are commensurate with the community to a fair degree.

I have a vacation double wide which had PBP pipe. I had the local contractor rip out the old pipe, replaced with pex, with new shut off valves and tied to the shower valves, and it cost me $1400, and done in 2 easy days. Since he has all the tools, it was worth it for me to have him do it.

Ideally the pressure should never go below 30-psi. Most fixtures are designed to work that low.

Latest posts

Back