Setting a Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for your help. I found I have more strength than I thought. I was doing just fine until I dropped my racket down the drain (forgot to block the drain hole 1st) then a day later I go and put bowl on. I was so proud. That high was short lived cuz I remember the tool. My question is would it be better to remove bowl and start over or cut into the pvc drain pipe to retrieve the tool??????
Annie, I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Master-designed-Replacement-Cleaners/dp/B00IX5N0AG
It comes with sticks to put on the bolts so you can line it up when lowering the toilet down to make sure you have it right. It has foamy rubbery like stuff on the parts that touch the toilet so it doesn't damage it and the wheels don't damage the floor. I did get wheels with brakes for mine as we did some installs on floors that weren't level.
They also make special bolts that get threaded on with the caps instead of separate nuts but I think the metal ones that Frodo showed are sturdier.
Most people probably don't need to get a toilet jack as they don't replace toilets that often, but since I'm renovating multiple bathrooms & my best friend keeps having problems with his, it has really been a back saver. Pulled and put down toilets almost 10x now since we got it.

Good Morning,
Need to reset two toilets after bathroom remodels. I have installed a toilet maybe 6 times and have had pretty good luck. In the past, I always figured. that if the toilet leaked, the water would be visible pretty quick and I could mop up and reinstall. However, I went against the common practice/good sense of installing a tile product and instead, installed vinyl plank. Thus, if there is a slow leak, by the time I catch it, it could work its way into the subfloor and I will have to deal with that.
Is there a wax ring, that is DIYer friendly and makes more solid contact with the toilet? I usually have another person help with lining up the studs, snuggle the toilet down, and tighten the nuts down evenly on both sides but not overtighten, until there is a firm connection.

Any tried and true installation techniques would be appreciated.
I like the wax-less seals because they are more forgiving if you don't get things right the first time & you don't have messy wax to clean up. The ones I got, you do have to sit on them and compress them for a couple minutes before fully tightening the bolts.
One trick I like is to put long straws/hollow sticks that are small enough to fit through the bolt holes on the toilet to help line it up. The toilet jack I came with had the sticks with it so that helped with lining it up.

I have no money.friends or family. I’ll figure it out. Thanks anyway
Ok, sorry, I did not know you were totally on your own, and broke.
But why did you set the toilet back on, with a wrench still left down in the drain pipe?

You might contact your city or county, or local churches, for info on volunteers or organizations who provide free home repairs to seniors or single women or people in financial distress.

If you have the Nextdoor app, you can post an appeal for some free help to locate and remove that wayward wrench.

Ok, sorry, I did not know you were totally on your own, and broke.
But why did you set the toilet back on, with a wrench still left down in the drain pipe?

You might contact your city or county, or local churches, for info on volunteers or organizations who provide free home repairs to seniors or single women or people in financial distress.

If you have the Nextdoor app, you can post an appeal for some free help to locate and remove that wayward wrench.

You can get a jumbo wax seal with horn. They have a little more wax on them.

I’ve never understood the theory behind the horned wax seal.

It effectively makes the hole smaller.

Why would I install a 3”-4” pipe then want to choke it down with a plastic funnel ?

🤣

Latest posts

Back