Septic tank smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javaguy44

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could offer anyone could help / offer advice.

We have recently had a new septic tank put in our house (about 3 months ago). *1 month after the works were complete, there started to be an overwhelming septic tank smell in the house which we never had before. *There is only one room affected by the smell at the top floor, but the smell is overwhelming. *We’ve searched in vain, including even ripping out wall panelling in this room for what might be causing it but haven’t been able to track it down. *The *smell is only coming into this one room at the very top of the house and I’m wondering if it is because this room is the closest to the septic tank ventilation pipe? *Any suggestions? *I know the name of our septic tank system, it’s called the “Clear fox”*https://clearfox.com/en/domestic-wastewater-treatment/*and the ventilation pipe from the system follows the house roof vertically before it exits into the air at a pipe chimney at the roof apex. *This vertical ventilation pipe did not exist with the old ventilation system. *I did a smoke test, and the smoke did seem to exit the ventilation pipe at the top without a problem..

The vendor says it’s an internal house problem (however there was no internal septic tank smell before his works) so he is trying to pass the problem to me.

One other thing to note. There is a sink in the smelly room. I first suspected the sink might be the issue. Naturally I filled the sink with water and plugged the hole to see if it was the problem. The sink is not emanating the smell though; the smell is coming from the opposite side of the room from the sink. But I thought it was important to add this piece of info.

Photo Link below of the ventilation pipe that runs the house, the exit at top of house, and the room impacted from the outside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xusz7egjql0qhv/photo.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for your advice / suggestions

Back