Septic Tank smell and soggy ground

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec

Reaction score
Hi There,

Need some advice

I have just moved in to a new home. It is a semi detached house in the country that shares a septic tank with the neighbours.

The deal is, it gets emptied every now and then and we share the cost for maintenance.

It was smelling a bit when we first moved in and the neighbour agreed to have it emptied at his own cost and then we would start a new with me sharing the onward costs.

He has had this done but I have a couple of issues.

Firstly, I still get wifts of smells coming from it that are unpleasant. He seems to not notice it but then he is hardley ever in but we spend a lot of time in the garden.

The other problem is my garden is getting boggy below where the tank sits. My garden is longer than his and it seems that the water should go to ground behind the back of his garden but it seems to come sideways into mine, to the extents that my ride on mower gets wheel spin as it goes over the boggy ground. If you thread on the area, water comes up past the sole of your feet.

I have no real idea if this is just something I should live with or something I should be able to get fixed. I get the impression he does not want to spend any money and I can understand that if he doesnt have much but I need to know if |I have an issue and what I may be able toi do.

I dont know much about the tank but I understand it is concrete with a charcoal bed.

Thanks in advance for any help

May have a failing field or a broken lateral, or a broken baffle tee. Need to get someone to inspect it. Who owns the land?

Back