Septic Tank Help - Sludge in d-box

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heater989

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been offered a very nice deal on a house and wanted to inspect the septic myself before I paid $800+ for an official inspection.

Per the attached picture, the water isn't above the inverts but, I did notice some sludge.

The home owner lived by himself for a long time and had the septic pumped every 5-10 years. Recently, 3 of his kids moved into the home (which inturn increases the amount of deposits into the septic tank).

1. Tank is 40 years old, 1,000 gallon, concrete.
2. There is a water well on the property.

I firmly believe the sludge in the d-box is recent.... meaning, I don't believe it has made it's way to the leachfields and if some did it would be small enough to handle with leachfield worms.

Questions
1. Am I being naive in my assumptions ? If I notice sludge in the d-box but water is not covering the inverts, is it wrong to assume the leachfields are manageable ?

2. I would rather fix this issue before I hire an inspector.... if I pump the septic, clean the d-box and administer leachfield treatment, can I assume I have cleared most the issues ?

3. I plan to go back to the property soon and get a sample of the well water - is there a place I can send the water to for an analysis ?

Thanks !

DboxJPG.jpg

Back