Septic Tank Full of Toilet Paper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandordgz

Reaction score
The septic tank is full but it seems that must of it is toilet paper. Is this how it supposed to be? When does the toilet paper supposed to dissolve?

So there is no way to clean it out than to call someone with the right equipment to clean it out?

Please see photo link below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UCmshkspkv594R1E7

The septic tank is full but it seems that must of it is toilet paper. Is this how it supposed to be? When does the toilet paper supposed to dissolve? So there is no way to clean it out than to call someone with the right equipment to clean it out?
This may be normal. The septic tank will always look "full", but what you see is the top "scum" layer. There's a "sludge" layer on the bottom, and if everything is otherwise working properly, more-or-less clear liquid in the middle. It's this liquid that drains into the leach field.

Both layers of solids will grow over time, and, if the tank is not pumped and cleaned regularly, solids will start to pass into the leach field. This is what the experts call "big trouble". Also, there are structures in the tank that prevent early release of solids; these structures can fail, leading to the same big trouble -- the leach field clogs up and will no longer accept waste.

So, my first question to you would be: How long since the tank was pumped and inspected?

Lots of websites describing all this in detail; e.g., https://www.epa.gov/septic/how-your-septic-system-works

@frodo: I don't think I've ever seen a bale of toilet paper that didn't say "septic safe" on it. But, certainly that marine TP is probably the best you can do -- I never knew it existed; thanks.

I am not really sure when was the last time it pumped and inspected as I bought the double wide in 2016. I've not done anything to the septic tank as of yet. So I will probably need to clean it out right?

Should have been inspected, at least, and usually pumped, at the time of sale. Absent any records, I'd do that now -- at least then you'd know where you stand. And many health departments recommend or require inspection every 3 years, pumping as required.

Last edited:
I've been using Scott® 1000 toilet paper for years. I look at my septic tank occasionally and never saw a trace of toilet paper, ever.
In fact, you can hardly get that stuff wet without it completely falling apart in front of you.

When I saw that Rapid-Dissolving stuff I was inclined to write to Scott and ask them why. And is it actually faster dissolving than their Scott® 1000 toilet paper?
https://www.scottbrand.com/-/media/...carousels/scott-1000-rev-legal-060118-(1).mp4

Also, Public Announcement, don't ever flush any kind of "flushable" wipes. It's misleading advertising and potentially harmful. Yes, they are flushable in the sense that they can be flushed down a toilet. So can lots of other things, but that doesn't mean they should. People often interpret "flushable" as meaning they will dissolve. They do not dissolve. They are basically fabric. They will clog up a septic tank, and can clog up city sewers as well.

Also, Public Announcement, don't ever flush any kind of "flushable" wipes. It's misleading advertising and potentially harmful. Yes, they are flushable in the sense that they can be flushed down a toilet. So can lots of other things, but that doesn't mean they should. People often interpret "flushable" as meaning they will dissolve. They do not dissolve. They are basically fabric. They will clog up a septic tank, and can clog up city sewers as well.

They play hell on the grinders and lift pumps in sewer systems. Just spent $100k, replacing grinder pumps, because the wipes, get wrapped around the cutter/impeller assemblies, and break the shaft seal, allowing the black water to infiltrate the motor, and shut it down, until it gets rebuilt.

The new pumps, have redesigned cutters, which are supposed to handle wipes. I’ll know before summer is over, if they do or not.

Hi. I took a look at your picture and I am assuming you are having problems. Is the toilet flushing slow or making a gargling sound? Not only does your tank need pumped but the level inside the tank is higher than working level. It appears the top scum layer is higher than your inlet line meaning not only does the tank need pumped but i believe you are having issues with your drain lines as well. If the level in the tank ever reaches that high it means the liquid is not able to flow out and seep through the lines properly due to not having it maintained, large water use or lots of rain that has your yard saturated. I have pumped thousands of septic tanks and the layer looks fairly normal. Toilet tissue can be misleading so try switching brands. Go ahead and have it pumped out and then keep your eye on it. Hopefully this will give your lines time to dry out some and start taking on more water. What area do you live in?

Hello Ryan, I live in North Carolina. Yes, the problem is some times the toilet flushes slow and Eve the drain line keeps on clogging. Last time I was able to unclog it by removing toilet paper from the inlet pipe of the septic tank.

I checked the septic tank two days ago and the toilet paper was back in there but no clogging. I removed the toilet paper again.

Last edited:
Hello Ryan, I live in North Carolina. Yes, the problem is some times the toilet flushes slow and Eve the drain line keeps on clogging. Last time I was able to unclog it by removing toilet paper from the inlet pipe of the septic tank.

I checked the septic tank two days ago and the toilet paper was back in there but no clogging. I removed the toilet paper again.
I don't think you are understanding what Ryan is saying.
Basically that the reason for the problem is primarily due to the fact that the septic tank is not flowing out to the leaching field properly. And is likely the real reason the tank was over filled.
His suggestion to pump it out was with hopes that it may give that discharge line from the tank a little time to dry out and perhaps help open it up. ????
You may ultimately have to do something with your leaching lines.

Just curious if the inlet pipe has a baffle on it?
Mine didn't and the scum layer plugged the inlet.
I installed a baffle after tank was pumped, as well as an outlet baffle, that has a pull out, washable filter, to keep stuff out of leach field.

Just curious if the inlet pipe has a baffle on it?
Mine didn't and the scum layer plugged the inlet.
I installed a baffle after tank was pumped, as well as an outlet baffle, that has a pull out, washable filter, to keep stuff out of leach field.
Yes...both the inlet and outlets should be baffled or enter with a tee with it's down leg terminated in the liquid, below scum level.
Are you saying you didn't have a baffle on the outlet side either? Or changed it to the type that has a pull out filter? Which I think is a great idea.

Outlet baffle was cracked.
Pumper told me U need a $4500 new tank.
Replaced cracked outlet baffle, with one with a pull out filter. And a PVC "T" for the inlet.
Pumping company. Told me I don't need an inlet "T". Of course, they make money pumping, and tank, and leach field replacement!

Latest posts

Back