Septic tank and high water table

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandre

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,
We are located in Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada and we have recently received heavy rainfall, resulting in probably higher water table.
Our septic tank was pumped out in June 2021 and guy who did the work tested it and said that everything worked fine.
Our septic system is about 20 years old and our township will force us to get town sewerage and town water, so there is no point investing 20k in new septic system.
There was a little bit of smell coming out of septic tank but we had two days of sunshine and now the smell is gone. Also everything in house works fine- we can flush toilet and when we take a shower water drains fine. There is little bit of smell coming from toilet but I could be imagining it - LOL. There is only two people living in the household.
There are no water puddles on septic bed. (the kind we get in the spring when the snow melts)
Here are the pictures- water level in septic tank is maybe 2 inches lower than it was 2 days ago.
My question is do we have to pump out the tank? I feel if we pump it out that we'll get all the water from the neighboring field back in.
Thanks a lot for any suggestions
Andre

Attachments

• field.jpg
    field.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • septic 2.jpg
    septic 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • septic 1.jpg
    septic 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • septic bed.jpg
    septic bed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
I was going to say don't pump it out or it might float up, but after looking at the photos that probably won't happen! The first house we built I built a tank like that out of cement blocks, it worked fine the 12 years we lived there. If you just pumped it out last year I would leave it, If you pump it it will probably just fill with groundwater, it's probably not waterproof, old tanks weren't. Why is the cover off? If you had to put a new system in it would probably be a mound system, correct? If this happens only when you get abnormal amounts of rain I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you so much for your answer.
Yeah- it happens in spring when snow melts and in autumn when we get lots of rain. It's not waterproof so I think it would fill with ground water if we pumped it out. The cover was off so I could take a picture of the water level- no worries I covered it afterwards.

Back