Septic Tank and City Water??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freecrowder

Reaction score
Can I convert a well water system using a septic tank into a city water system and a septic tank? Does the chlorine treatment in city water keep the septic system from working correctly.

I know of lots of systems in my area that are hooked up to municipal water. I assume, then, that it's fine.

I've never heard anything against that kind of setup.

Chlorine kills the bacteria in a septic tank you just have to routinely add bacteria to keep tank function properlythe bacteria is what helps break dow the solids. Are u currently on a well and if so why pay for water

Can I convert a well water system using a septic tank into a city water system and a septic tank? Does the chlorine treatment in city water keep the septic system from working correctly.
Would you mind spelling out exactly what you are talking about.
It's obviously clear to the next to posters but I don't follow.

Oh I think I have it...So you have a well water system for you water supply and you're asking if by switching over to a city water supply, which is treated with chlorine, whether it will negatively affect your septic system.

There must be millions of homes with a septic system using city water. The Chlorine/Chloramines left in your water certainly doesn't help the septic system, nor do many of the chemicals you are apt to use in your laundry and dish washing. Using a little drain cleaner would be many times worse for your septic system.
Septic system owners should have their tank checked and pumped as needed to insure that the amount of sludge and scum does not exceed recommended levels.

Last edited:
Back