Septic Tank and City Water??

Discussion in 'Septic Tanks' started by freecrowder, Aug 1, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Aug 1, 2018 #1

freecrowder

freecrowder

freecrowder

Can I convert a well water system using a septic tank into a city water system and a septic tank? Does the chlorine treatment in city water keep the septic system from working correctly.

2. Aug 16, 2018 #2

haloflood

haloflood

haloflood

I know of lots of systems in my area that are hooked up to municipal water. I assume, then, that it's fine.

I've never heard anything against that kind of setup.

3. Aug 17, 2018 #3

journeyman

journeyman

journeyman

the professional

Chlorine kills the bacteria in a septic tank you just have to routinely add bacteria to keep tank function properlythe bacteria is what helps break dow the solids. Are u currently on a well and if so why pay for water

4. Aug 17, 2018 #4

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Would you mind spelling out exactly what you are talking about.
    It's obviously clear to the next to posters but I don't follow.

Oh I think I have it...So you have a well water system for you water supply and you're asking if by switching over to a city water supply, which is treated with chlorine, whether it will negatively affect your septic system.

There must be millions of homes with a septic system using city water. The Chlorine/Chloramines left in your water certainly doesn't help the septic system, nor do many of the chemicals you are apt to use in your laundry and dish washing. Using a little drain cleaner would be many times worse for your septic system.
    Septic system owners should have their tank checked and pumped as needed to insure that the amount of sludge and scum does not exceed recommended levels.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018