Septic smell coming from shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we bought our house a year ago.. that is how long this has been going on without figuring the problem. We have had 3 plumber's out to try and find the problem. No one knows. When we use the washing machine, dish washer, or master shower, the smell happeneds. We tried making sure we where spacing out the time of washing clothes, didnt work.
There is no backup, just the horrible smell.
The only place the smell comes from is my daughters shower drain. No where else. It's so bad some nights she has to sleep in the living room . We open the bathroom window to try and get the smell out. Normally within 5 hours of finishing washing the smell is gone.
A little more background...
When we bought the house the owner had the leach field redone.
The plumbers that come, have scoped the septic tank and say its fine.. not even 1/4 full.
I was told they looked at the vents on top of the house and those arnt clogged..
The shower drain has NOT been scoped..
The home is about 40 years old.
The lady that lived in the house before we bought it was disabled and I dont think she ever used the bathroom where the smell is coming from.
We are on 4 acres. no neighbors close.
We dont have an attic or basement.

So why is it 3 professionals can't find our problem??
We are tired of spending money on plumbers and not getting an answer.
I have researched like crazy without answers.

Please someone help.

So it sounds like it has already been concluded that the smell is likely caused by no trap seal in your daughters shower drain trap. And now you're trying to determine what's causing the loss of trap seal?

When you start getting that smell do you immediately block the drain? And/or add a little water in an effort to prevent additional/prolonged smell, in the mean time?

Can you see any of the piping associated with the shower drain?

I can't see any of the piping. Also I've looked down into the shower drain and there is water sitting in there. So I assumed it wasn't the seal. Maybe there's not enough water? I don't know. I got a rubber drain cover to try and block the smell but it didn't work. The shower is all tile so it doesn't sit flush

So we bought our house a year ago.. that is how long this has been going on without figuring the problem. We have had 3 plumber's out to try and find the problem. No one knows. When we use the washing machine, dish washer, or master shower, the smell happeneds. We tried making sure we where spacing out the time of washing clothes, didnt work.
There is no backup, just the horrible smell.
The only place the smell comes from is my daughters shower drain. No where else. It's so bad some nights she has to sleep in the living room . We open the bathroom window to try and get the smell out. Normally within 5 hours of finishing washing the smell is gone.
A little more background...
When we bought the house the owner had the leach field redone.
The plumbers that come, have scoped the septic tank and say its fine.. not even 1/4 full.
I was told they looked at the vents on top of the house and those arnt clogged..
The shower drain has NOT been scoped..
The home is about 40 years old.
The lady that lived in the house before we bought it was disabled and I dont think she ever used the bathroom where the smell is coming from.
We are on 4 acres. no neighbors close.
We dont have an attic or basement.

So why is it 3 professionals can't find our problem??
We are tired of spending money on plumbers and not getting an answer.
I have researched like crazy without answers.

Please someone help.

I can't see any of the piping. Also I've looked down into the shower drain and there is water sitting in there. So I assumed it wasn't the seal. Maybe there's not enough water? I don't know. I got a rubber drain cover to try and block the smell but it didn't work. The shower is all tile so it doesn't sit flush

Yes very possible. Could be like this....
Trap Seal.jpg
Try adding some water when the smell is present, to try to determine if it comes up and stays at a higher level.

Yes very possible. Could be like this....
View attachment 19612
Try adding some water when the smell is present, to try to determine if it comes up and stays at a higher level.
I will try this. We cant get the metal grid off the opening of the drain because whoever put the tile in covered up the screws or anyway of getting it out without tearing out the tile or cutting into it. But i can pour water in.

Well congratulations you're the first person I've ever heard say that they don't have an attic and or basement in their house very normal indeed

Latest posts

Back