Septic pump troubleshooting help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maine-Islander

Reaction score
I have 5 year old dual float pump in my effluent tank and am getting an intermittent high water alarm. Sometimes the primary float will kick in normally on automatic and it will work fine for a few days. Other times the primary float doesn’t kick in and the high water alarm goes off and the pump immediately starts working. Still other times the high water will go off and the pump doesn’t kick in and I have to manually pump it. The control panel is a 2004 CSI controls panel that seems pretty basic. I’ve tested the primary pump float with an ohm meter and it works fine. Floats move freely. I’ve taken apart the contactor and all contacts are clean with no corrosion (the control box is in the house). I’ve even taken the switch apart and cleaned the contacts. All wires that should have 110 volts are getting 110. The only thing left to look at is a small relay that is powered by the high water float. It looks clean and seems to operate although I really can’t tell. I’ve ordered a new relay on the off chance that this is causing the problem.
Have any of you experienced this before?

Could be tripping an automatic overload in the motor. It won't let the pump come on until it has cooled down and reset itself. Sometimes seems like the controls are intermittent, when it is really the pump just won't start.

Thanks! So I have an update. The pump is consistently coming on only when the alarm float energizes. Here is what happens : Alarm triggers, pump comes on, tank starts to drain, alarm goes off when the alarm float de-energizes, tank continues to drain, pump automatically stops when pump float indicates low water level. When I’ve tested about an hour or so before the high water alarm circuit energizes I have no continuity on either high float circuit or main pump circuit. Then I use a little water, alarm goes off and both circuits have continuity at the same time. I can’t see any wiring in the control panel that would suggest the two circuits are interconnected in any way. The system has worked fine for 15 years then this has started. I’ve replaced the contactor and high water relay. There are no other moving parts in the control panel. There are only two people on the system. Any suggestions on what else might be going on? Thank you

Back