Septic Overflow Protection?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doots

Reaction score
I have a septic system and have been close to overflowing a couple times into the house, and would like to put in an "overflow protection system" in my garage.

My thought is to pipe the septic drain line into the garage, then have a P-Trap there with an open top that is lower than the lowest drain exit in the house, so that a septic backup would overflow into a basin below the P-Trap in the garage. I could have a tank alert or automatic water shutoff in the basin catching the overflow, so that I either know when it happens or shut of water automatically when it happens.

I've googled a bit for things like this, and looked on youtube, but haven't seen anything. Is this a reasonable thing to attempt? Does code allow it? I'm in unincorporated Snohomish County in Washington state.

If I did this I'd also likely tie in a water softener drain line to the new drain point, with the appropriate air gap included.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Mark

Back