Septic line keeps clogging, need help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcf1999

Reaction score
In my septic, I have 2 lines that come in. One has a baffle and the other doesn't. The one that doesn't always backs up because, I believe, it doesn't have a baffle. Because the pipes are so close in the septic, I can't add a baffle to the line that's missing a baffle. Anyways, the bathroom that uses the line that backs up is used a lot and I cannot go out every month to mash the scum later to allow the pipe to drain. I'm thinking of abandoning one of the lines and just having one line in the septic with a baffle. I have attached 3 pics. Two pictures show the inside of the septic with the "situation" and the last is a drawing of the lines going to the septic and a couple proposed options I thought of. The easiest option is B, but I'm worried if there would be too many "turns". Anyways, can someone please look at my situation and let me know if I'm on the right track or if there is a better option out there.

Thank you!
Dave

House (2).jpgpic 1.jpgpic 2.jpg

If you had the space you could install a t baffle on line that doesn't have one. The baffle needs a pipe at least 12 inches long at bottom of tee or you can buy a one piece baffle.Newer tanks do away with the cement baffle and have plastic baffles instead. Using heavier toilet paper ,wipes and having a long run with little pitch and low flow toilets doesn't help.I find two story houses with toilets on second floor have less trouble then one story houses. Your septic pumper might be able to install a baffle for you. Looking at picture again.The baffle on the other pipe could be obstructing the other line a little. Hopefully both pipes at same height coming in and one pipe isn't lower. Ideally the pipes should be two inches above water level and outlepipe to leachfield is lower.

Last edited:
Back