Septic inlet problem/question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clydaho

Reaction score
Hello,

We moved into our new house May 15, 2022. In October, the septic backed up into the shower. The builder and septic installer rushed right out and saved the day. I had put a tight cap on the only clean out, so the backed up solids from the baffle came flying out when the cap was removed. Leave the cap off. OK. And a riser was installed. Two months later I slid the top off the riser to look and make sure we weren't backing up. Solids were clogging the inlet baffle again. Hmmm. I work out of town and am gone half the time and I'm sure my wife isn't overusing the paper.

The builder came out and cut back the inlet pipe to make more room between it and the baffle. 4 weeks later, same story. Solids clogging the baffle.

Builder said to cut out the baffle. Septic installer said DO NOT remove the baffle because it will mess up the drain field.

Maybe the slope is incorrect. Hand dug the area between the house and tank. I'm attaching a picture. The slope was checked and was right on the 1/4"/foot, as recommended. Flow into the tank seemed adequate when watching after a flush.

The tank was installed in 2020 before the house was built. Plumber ran the drain pipe so it does NOT go straight into the tank. The plumbing is in the mono-slab that the house is on, so there is no moving either the pipe or the tank. There are 2 45° elbows between the house and tank.

Could this cause the solids to slow down just enough as it enters the tank so the solids stay in the baffle?

Has anyone ever dealt with an inlet line coming out of the house that doesn't go straight into the tank?

My installer has been doing this for 40 years, hasn't seen a line that doesn't go straight into the tank and hasn't seen this problem of backing up in the baffle when everything seems to be correct.

We are thinking of moving the piping back towards the house so the 45 by the tank is further from the tank and allows a 6-12" straight shot at the tank.

Thoughts???

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Cossette Septic.jpg
    Cossette Septic.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I don’t see a problem with the piping. 45 offset wouldn’t cause your issue.

I’d say the problem is in the tank from looking at your pics.

What could be a problem in the tank?
It was installed brand new in 2020, not used until May 2022. It's level and the outlet is working correctly.

What could be a problem in the tank?
It was installed brand new in 2020, not used until May 2022. It's level and the outlet is working correctly.
Maybe the installer pushed too much pipe into the tank……I don’t know…..

But I do know that a 45 degree offset at the proper pitch won’t cause your problem.

Have a camera to inspect or cut it all out and start over but you’ll still need to use some fittings to reinstall it. Maybe there’s a foreign object in the drain…..I don’t know.

Maybe someone’s putting way too much paper in the tank and you’re simply not aware of it. Despite what you think you know.

is that a three inch pipe? it is supposed to be four inch, that being said two 45 is not a problem . open up the cover and take photos . Also septic tanks do require more easily digested toilet paper. I suspect your problem is down steam of the septic tank .

It is 4" pipe. We use Kirkland toilet paper, which is what our installer uses at his house without problems.
I ran water from the garden hose down the cleanout for 20 minutes to insure the outlet is working properly. It is, which means the drain field is working as well.

The builder came out and cut back the inlet pipe to make more room between it and the baffle.
I work out of town and am gone half the time and I'm sure my wife isn't overusing the paper. It's just us 2 and the dog. (He looks guilty of something)

Here's a picture of the tank, 3 weeks after I unclogged it with a 2x4. Still clogging up.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Good Boy.jpg
    Good Boy.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 1
It is 4" pipe. We use Kirkland toilet paper, which is what our installer uses at his house without problems.
I ran water from the garden hose down the cleanout for 20 minutes to insure the outlet is working properly. It is, which means the drain field is working as well.

The builder came out and cut back the inlet pipe to make more room between it and the baffle.
I work out of town and am gone half the time and I'm sure my wife isn't overusing the paper. It's just us 2 and the dog. (He looks guilty of something)

Here's a picture of the tank, 3 weeks after I unclogged it with a 2x4. Still clogging up.
You're right! He does !ook guilty!

I'm no expert but I do have a septic tank. It only has to be drained every 7 years or so. I was going to say maybe the tank is insufficient size but then I noticed this:
1683917497917.png1683917578366.png
Is that where the water is coming in? That does NOT look like toilet paper to me. That looks like cloth. Looks like t-shirt material form here but it may be wet wipes. Even those "flushable" wipes are not flushable. Not sure if your wife did this or if someone who was working on it or installing it dropped those in or something. But I wonder if that could be the problem? That cloth is not the right size, shape, or texture to be tp.

Am I wrong on this?

Thanks for the reply. I'm stumped.

That picture was taken on 4/11/23.
We do not use wipes, and that does look like cloth. Right after that picture I used a 2x4 and pushed it down and it broke up like toilet paper does.
Here's a pic from back in January. It looks similar, I think.
We use Kirkland paper from Costco, as recommended by our installer. He uses it too.

Attachments

• Tank 1.26.23.jpg
    Tank 1.26.23.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
I think because that little area is catching the TP while it is waiting to disintegrate it might be causing clogs/backups. My septic tank has a different design and doesn't have that issue. But the one I have is patented and only made by a specific guy in my state so I don't know what other septic tanks would look like. I don't remember my previous septic tank having that little retaining area thing. I wonder if that could be the culprit.

I'm no expert though so I can't be sure.

Anyone who knows more about septic tanks know if that is normal to have that little box and if the tp sitting there is causing the problems?

We use the Charmin mega rolls and they break up just fine. Don't have the Costco or Kirkland stuff near us to be able to buy it but I think it is similar. We sometimes flush wet wipes by mistake but it hasn't been an issue as it isn't constant.

The only thing that should go down the drain in a septic system is human waste , soap, and t p . No paper towels, no Kleenex, no sanitary products , no dental floss , no wipes , period .

Maybe it’s the ratio of water and toilet paper. Too much paper for the amount of water you’re using.

Also that’s the weirdest inlet to a tank I’ve ever seen

Also that toilet paper looks thick.

Who visits your house when you’re not there ?

Latest posts

Back