septic filtration

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garbage disposals are my best friend for stopped up lines. Lol. To answer your question, that small box was an interior grease trap ( food interceptor ) and keeps it from your lines, the down side is the stuff that accumulates is nasty, sour, rotten smelling and has to be cleaned out regularly by a pumping company. You could use a shop vac but then you have no where to get rid of contents so you are actually creating another problem. The fasted Olympic runner couldn't catch me to give me a disposal

Garbage disposals are my best friend for stopped up lines. Lol.

To answer your question, that small box was an interior grease trap ( food interceptor ) and keeps it from your lines, the down side is the stuff that accumulates is nasty, sour, rotten smelling and has to be cleaned out regularly by a pumping company.

You could use a shop vac but then you have no where to get rid of contents so you are actually creating another problem.

The fasted Olympic runner couldn't catch me to give me a disposal

I agree, but...

I am on septic (tank I should say)... :eek:

The only reason I have a GD is to make sure whatever goes into the drain by-passing the drain basket from washing dishes (or pre-wash before the DW) is finely ground. It is a mute subject actually as if you have a DW on septic, it too will discharge food particles, how finely ground no one knows.

It is a convenience and as long as you understand the possible results, there should be no problem.

As for grease (and soap scum buildup due to hard water) a home grease trap is available but I don't want to clean it personally... :eek:

You guys that live out too far for trask pick-up. Have you thought about a trash compactor for garbage?

I agree, but...

I am on septic (tank I should say)... :eek:

The only reason I have a GD is to make sure whatever goes into the drain by-passing the drain basket from washing dishes (or pre-wash before the DW) is finely ground. It is a mute subject actually as if you have a DW on septic, it too will discharge food particles, how finely ground no one knows.

It is a convenience and as long as you understand the possible results, there should be no problem.

As for grease (and soap scum buildup due to hard water) a home grease trap is available but I don't want to clean it personally... :eek:

You guys that live out too far for trask pick-up. Have you thought about a trash compactor for garbage?
i have a trash compactor to. though we have a private trash company to pick our trash up and i split the cost with my neighbor and it's only 4.50 a month for me

Garbage disposals are my best friend for stopped up lines. Lol. To answer your question, that small box was an interior grease trap ( food interceptor ) and keeps it from your lines, the down side is the stuff that accumulates is nasty, sour, rotten smelling and has to be cleaned out regularly by a pumping company. You could use a shop vac but then you have no where to get rid of contents so you are actually creating another problem. The fasted Olympic runner couldn't catch me to give me a disposal
LOL i hear you on that when you say a GD is your best friend for backed up lines :D. though i never had backed up lines in my entire life. except when i had my apt building GD'S and cast iron piping don't mix.. that and you have people that put there mother in law down em:D and expect it to grind her up:rolleyes: then your getting calls at 3 am my sinks clogged or during thanksgiving and christmas. i installed the badger 1 units wich is total crap.. i went with the evolution excel since i'll probily be in the house for a while and the thing will more than likely last a good 20 years or more. iv'e changed my mind on the food interceptor

Back