septic filtration

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rual_farmer

Reaction score
after using the disposal for a while now and not being able to take full advantage of it. is there some kind of filtration that can fit under the sink and filter out all of the crap and let the water flow into the tank and trap the food particles

...after using the disposal for a while now and not being able to take full advantage of it. is there some kind of filtration that can fit under the sink and filter out all of the crap and let the water flow into the tank and trap the food particles

:confused:

You have a GD on a septic tank? What to you term as full advantage?

The GD should only be used to clean the sink after dishes (scrape dishes thoroughly) (drain bowl through drain basket strainer). It should not be used as a waste receptacle on municipal waste either for that matter as it leads to clogged drains.

The ground up food leads to more frequent pumping (think of it as an extra person on the tank's capacity) and leads to elevated H2S gas (sulfuric acid) in the tank.

Pipe Blockage _1 DWV.jpg

The GD should only be used to clean the sink after dishes (scrape dishes thoroughly) (drain bowl through drain basket strainer). It should not be used as a waste receptacle on municipal waste either for that matter as it leads to clogged drains.

The ground up food leads to more frequent pumping (think of it as an extra person on the tank's capacity) and leads to elevated H2S gas (sulfuric acid) in the tank.
yes I have a disposal in a septic tank. I have the evolution excel. One of the reasons I asked this question is I was over in Japan for a couple of months. And they had a disposal but next to it there was some kind of box that caught all of the ground up food from the disposal and held onto it and it let the water goto the city sewer. I thought something like that would be good to have since I have a one HP unit. Then I could use it like a garbage can and use it to clean out the fridge. Will the h2s had do anything to the tank another reason I ask is I am thinking that I might be better off selling the house and going over to city water and sewer

Last edited:
If you read the instructions on the Insinkerator, it says you can't put grease, fat, or large food particles inside. It's basically for small stuff that got stuck on plates. It can gunk up the inside of the GD itself. Use cold water to flush it out, and sometimes grind ice in it to clean the blades.

If you don't want to dump stuff from the fridge into your garbage, you can find a spot in your yard, dig a hole, and dump the food stuff (no plastics) there. An elderly friend of mine used to dump eggshells and food stuff in a certain spot near his garden.

Some houses used to have grease traps for their kitchen sinks. I don't know if that is really a thing anymore.

The food stuff is why I miss having pigs-- they used to be the garbage disposal units for our house.

If you read the instructions on the Insinkerator, it says you can't put grease, fat, or large food particles inside. It's basically for small stuff that got stuck on plates. It can gunk up the inside of the GD itself. Use cold water to flush it out, and sometimes grind ice in it to clean the blades.

If you don't want to dump stuff from the fridge into your garbage, you can find a spot in your yard, dig a hole, and dump the food stuff (no plastics) there. An elderly friend of mine used to dump eggshells and food stuff in a certain spot near his garden.

Some houses used to have grease traps for their kitchen sinks. I don't know if that is really a thing anymore.

The food stuff is why I miss having pigs-- they used to be the garbage disposal units for our house.
i haven't read the instructions yet on the in sink erator maybe i will. after talking to there reps they told me i could put corn cobs down it wich i would never do!!! even though i'm a single guy i would never put fat or grease drown the drain that's the worst thing that one can do.. the only place that i head really gunk up on my with any disposal is the splash gaurd i always run the water before i put food down the disposal and turn it on. i own a 60 unit apt complex and i can tell you a few stories of what people do with disposals and what they shove down em:mad:. some would shove there mother in law down there:D some would load the disposal and pack it all in it turn the unit on before turning on the water and by that time it's to late the foods already going down the drain. then you have the ones that ran it half way through its cycle and shutting the water right off after.. i do grind a lemon or an orange i run warm water not hot water since warm water extracts juices better than cold or i make what they call vinager cubes and i run those through with some cold water to make the unit smell nice to. i have thought about digging a hole in my back yard and dumping all of the scraps in there but i am in the woods so animals do worry me. i used to see homes and resturants with a grease trap next to the sink or under it but i havent seen that setup in a long time. i wish i could get me a few pigs but my city won't allow it. i do know one thing GD'S and cast iron plumbing don't get along at all:eek:

Last edited:

i am also curious about the pic with the clogged line. not saying it can't happen as i have my own stories to tell on that. but i am also wondering do you think that's from an improperly installed GD or by someone that didn't know how to use one. maybe an improperly sized line??? i have GD'S on city water and sewer for years and i have never had a clooged lines in my life and i used the GD as a garbage can never had one problem. maybe it's because i bought only top of the line units except once wich was a badger as that was a big mistake. i also had mine installed by a plumber to so that he could inspect the lines to see if they needed to be cleaned out first

i am also curious about the pic with the clogged line. not saying it can't happen as i have my own stories to tell on that. but i am also wondering do you think that's from an improperly installed GD or by someone that didn't know how to use one. maybe an improperly sized line???

I did not imply that. But an improperly installed or improper/excessive usage may cause drain blockage. For proper drain pipe size and routing, that is what they have code for.

Using either a garbage disposal and/or a dishwasher on septic is a compromise that you must allow for.

Yeah, I found that the Insinkerator people I talked to just read from a script. If they told you to put corn cobs down, they were BSing you. Maybe their machine can grind it up, but that doesn't mean it will not gunk up the plumbing. Clearly they didn't think about that aspect. I suspect the ones I talked to were actually from India.

Kultulz, you just reminded me that my "dishwasher" is a glorified and clunky drying rack because I end up having to wash everything by hand anyway. LOL.

Sorry, rual.

I was just wondering if he had normal trash pickup or if he was too far out.
yes i'm far out and we have to pay for a pvt trash company to come out and get our garbage. i'm like 30 mins to the nearest store. there's no city water here no natural gas everything's heated with oil or propane. we don't even have a stop light in town:D though going 25 mph for no reason at all is starting to work my nerves. but this is what i get for wanting my peace and quiet

Last edited:
Yeah, I found that the Insinkerator people I talked to just read from a script. If they told you to put corn cobs down, they were BSing you. Maybe their machine can grind it up, but that doesn't mean it will not gunk up the plumbing. Clearly they didn't think about that aspect. I suspect the ones I talked to were actually from India.

Kultulz, you just reminded me that my "dishwasher" is a glorified and clunky drying rack because I end up having to wash everything by hand anyway. LOL.
yes i see that in sink erators support is now in india last time i spoke with em they was in america. and the ones in india don't listen to you at all.. yes i know there bsing me about the corn cobs that would really screw the disposal up as well as break the seals.. the funny thing i seen the pic that kultulz posted the pipe full of gunk. i never had that problem when i was on city water and sewer.. maybe i was lucky i dunno i know that cast iron plumbing and GD'S don't like each other:rolleyes:. and ofcourse they don't think about the food gunking up the plumbing they want you to pay for a service call:eek:. the only disposer i would not buy is there badger line i had more problems with that POS everytime i hear someone say you cant put this down the disposal i think of they have a badger unit wich is crap. many years ago i had a model 17 and i threw everything down it from rice to pasta chicken bones pork chop bones whole pumpkin rinds and it took it and my pipes never had gunk in them and never backed up or anything. that's why i commented on the pic he posted there's lots of reasons why that pipes can gunk up. from what i have seen people in apts don't know how to use disposals and they shove everything down em including there mother in law on christmas day:D. they would pack the food in the unit and then start the unit with out running the water and next thing you know there sinks backed up:mad:. i had a tennent think a disposal could grind up corn husks:eek::mad:. they slide down of the grinding ring and wrap around the motor shaft then your buying a new unit i was pissed..

so you need a new dishwasher. you would have loved the one in my old house it was an old maytag from the 80's and each time it drained it sounded like a jet was gonna take off out from the kitchen:D. i love the new ones there so quiet

I did not imply that. But an improperly installed or improper/excessive usage may cause drain blockage. For proper drain pipe size and routing, that is what they have code for.

Using either a garbage disposal and/or a dishwasher on septic is a compromise that you must allow for.
i am counting the GD and the DW as a second person on the system since it's just me here.

Last edited:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTghGmhMk4[/ame]

this is why i chose the evolution excel. it grind things up three times. then again it's a 300$$ plus unit:eek:

I got the evolution model too. It's not as loud as my black & decker model.

Last edited:
I got the evolution model too. It's not as loud as my black & decker model.
i love mine i don't even know it's running. i didn't fall for the septic assist unit as there's no such thing as for there's ways of keeping your system active

i love mine i don't even know it's running. i didn't fall for the septic assist unit as there's no such thing as for there's ways of keeping your system active

I don't mind it being noisy since I'm used to loud appliances (and people) in my house. LOL. I think my ceiling fan is actually louder than the disposal though.
Thus far it seems to work well.

I don't mind it being noisy since I'm used to loud appliances (and people) in my house. LOL. I think my ceiling fan is actually louder than the disposal though.
Thus far it seems to work well.
i don't mind the disposal being a little loud i know it's running and plus there's times i don't want to hear the ex wife LOL:D. my ceiling fans are completely quiet as i installed all haiku fans.. i just built a 5000 SQ FT house in 16 acres of land it's 3 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms. i talked to my neighbors earlier today and they told me there house came with a disposal wonders why mine didn't get one

Last edited:
i guess i'm gonna have to call someone in my area to see if we have such a thing over here that goes under the sink and filters out food particles after the pig grinds em up. it would be nice taking advantage of the 1 HP motor and using it to clean out the fridge without having to worry about the leech field getting screwed up from things that float like bones. and trying to keep sludge down to a minimum!!!

Back